SilverDragon tracks rares. It will try everything possible to notice them and tell you about them.
I, as its author, have precisely one quirk: I like a minimal starting experience. That means that by default SilverDragon doesn't know about any rare mobs, and will just learn about them when you encounter new ones. If you want more advance warning, just go to the "Mobs" section of SilverDragon's options and either enter a few mobs you want to look for, or click "import data" to pull in a complete list of every known rare mob and its locations.
How does it search?
Those little skull icons you see on the minimap. If one of them is a rare SilverDragon knows about, it'll yell at you.
If you mouse over or target a rare mob, SilverDragon will notice it.
This is the also how SilverDragon learns about new rares in the wild. After you first mouse over or target one, it'll remember it, and start watching for it in the cache in the future.
If you have enemy nameplates turned on, SilverDragon will keep an eye on them to look for the names of known rares. This is the least exact method, because nameplates don't expose the underlying mob's id, so we have to rely on a plain name comparison.
Addons that modify nameplates may interfere with this.
SilverDragon can also create a macro to target any rares that are known in the current zone. You can stick this on your actionbars as a button to spam while chasing after a rare. This is sort of a last resort.
How will I know when a rare is seen?
When a rare appears, SilverDragon will pop up a frame that you can click on to target it.
Warning: If you're in combat, secure action restrictions mean that it won't show up until combat finishes.
You can choose from assorted sounds to play when a rare is seen. The sound can loop for a while, to make sure you don't miss it.
There's special settings for rares that drop mounts and world boss rares which you might want to call up a group for. If you're sitting mostly-AFK on a Time-Lost Proto Drake spawn, you probably want the sound that plays to be utterly ridiculous and go on for a good long while, to make sure you don't miss that sucker.
A notice can be sent to a number of places:
- your scrolling combat text
- your chat frame
- a channel in your chat frame (announcing it to your party, for instance)
- a popup window
Other useful things?
In SilverDragon's options you'll find a "Mobs" section. In the "Always" section, you can add any mob you want to be scanned for. All you need to know is the mob id.
So, let's say you wanted to keep an eye out for Lil Timmy in Stormwind, to buy the kitten he sells. You would...
- Go to his wowhead page.
- Grab his id from the URL. It's
8666into the "add" field, and click "okay".
- Play with your new kitten.
If there's some mob you don't want to hear about for whatever reason, just go to the "Ignore" section of the options. Again, enter the mob's id into the "add" box, then click okay. Bam! You will never again be told that Vern is up.
(Actually, Vern is ignored by default. But you get the idea.)
SilverDragon will talk to itself. It can communicate with other copies of itself run by people in your party / guild, and tell you when they see a rare mob. (If there's a group of you camping all the Time-Lost Proto Drake spawns, say...)
You can turn this off completely, if you want to be private about it.
Some rares are part of an achievement. When you mouse over a rare mob, SilverDragon will add to the tooltip whether you've already killed it, so you know whether you need to rush for it.
SilverDragon includes a Broker plugin. It'll attach itself to your minimap, or a Broker container you have installed, and show you a list of the mobs it knows about in the current zone.
Other addons you may find useful
- ServerRestartSound: plays a sound when the server's about to restart. If you're AFK-camping for a rare spawn, you probably want to know about this.
- HandyNotes: integrates with SilverDragon to show icons on zone maps where a rare has been seen.
- ButtonBin: a broker display. SilverDragon's minimap icon will show up on it (or any other addon like it) instead of cluttering up your minimap, if you have it installed.
David Lynch <email@example.com>
2015-01-28 21:40:39 -0600
- Other part of "remove potential for a loop in macro creation"
- Remove potential for a loop in macro creation
- Correct ID for Gorok as a mount-dropper
- Update the targeting macro when seeing a new rare
- Make marker ignore mobs properly
- The time-lost isn't really in Nagand. Thanks, Blizzard. :P
- Mine to pick up new coords
- Mount mob icon color
|File Name||Release Type||Game Version||Downloads||Date|
- Deadly Boss Mods
- Combat, PvP, Minigames, and Boss Encounters
- 3,152,525 Monthly Downloads
- Master Plan
- 1,360,253 Monthly Downloads
- 1,062,404 Monthly Downloads
- Garrison Mission Manager
- Data Broker, FuBar, Plugins, Titan Panel, and Garrison
- 897,315 Monthly Downloads
- Bags & Inventory
- 864,123 Monthly Downloads