AUTOMATICALLY PREVENTS ALL FORMS OF GRIEF, including build/break, theft, spam, fire, spawn camping, lava and more, so you don't have to undo any damage after the fact. No configuration or database required! Stop responding to grief and prevent it instead. Grief Prevention will solve your grief problems without requiring you to manage a roster of trained administrators, juggle 10 different anti-grief plugins, take away cool standard game features, publish a training manual / tutorial for players, or add explanatory signs to your world. You can also choose to integrate PvP elements into build design to finally get a PvP experience befitting a sandbox game about creativity.
Grief Prevention stops grief before it starts automatically without any effort from administrators, and with very little (self service) effort from players. Solve all your grief problems with a single download, no database, and no configuration step.
Official Servers (Try it for yourself!)
You can experience this plugin for yourself (as a player) by joining any of these public servers. :) We maintain these servers personally, which helps us catch bugs and spot opportunities for new features and improvements. Have fun!
- BeardCraft bit.ly/beardcraftfb
- Epic Minecrafter play.epicminecrafter.com
Yes, everything is customizable. See Setup and Configuration.
- No database or world backups required.
- Extremely efficient CPU / RAM usage.
- Land claims are easy to manage.
- New players get automatic claims around their first chests.
- Players who ask for help in chat get an instant link to a demonstration video.
- Resizing claims and creating new claims is done with ONLY the mouse, no slash commands.
- When a player appears to be building something nice outside his claim, he's warned and shown his claim boundaries.
- Claim boundaries are easy to see, and don't require any client-side mod installation.
- Extremely easy-to-remember, single-parameter slash commands for giving other players permissions.
- Claim subdivision and granular permissions are available to organize towns and cities. Watch this video.
- It's IMPOSSIBLE to grief a land claim. Watch this video.
- No building or breaking.
- No stealing from ANY containers.
- No sleeping in beds.
- No button/lever usage.
- No adjusting redstone repeaters.
- No pushing blocks in with pistons.
- No pulling blocks out with pistons.
- No TNT damage.
- No creeper damage.
- No damage from TNT cannons.
- No explosive damage from other plugins, like Extra Hard Mode or Magic Spells.
- No enderman block changes.
- All doors may be automatically locked (optional, see config file).
- No killing or luring animals away.
- No stealing water.
- No trampling crops, by players, animals, or monsters.
- No growing trees inside the claim by planting outside.
- No building overtop, all claims reach to the max build height.
- No placing or breaking paintings / item frames.
- Fluids will not flow into a claim from outside.
- Excellent anti-spam protection
- Warns, then mutes, then may kick or ban spammers (configurable - you choose).
- Most spammers get only one message out before they're muted.
- Almost no false positives.
- Blocks server advertising.
- Blocks repeat message spam.
- Blocks ASCII art (ex. Nyan Cats) spam.
- Blocks similar message spam.
- Blocks unreadable (gibberish) message spam.
- Blocks CAPS.
- Blocks macro spam (very different messages in quick succession).
- Blocks login/logout spam, even when the spammer has multiple accounts.
- Blocks death spam.
- Blocks bot team spam.
- Blocks slash command spam, including /tell, /emote, and any more you add.
- Wilderness Protection and Rollback
- Fire doesn't spread or destroy blocks.
- Creepers and other explosions don't destroy blocks above sea level.
- TNT doesn't destroy blocks above sea level.
- No planting trees on platforms in the sky ("tree grief").
- Instant, point and click nature restoration for not-claimed areas. Watch this video.
- Insanely easy and fast fixes for penises, swastikas, and anything else unsightly.
- Point at what you don't like and click, and it's fixed. Even from far away.
- Never accidentally changes blocks inside land claims.
- No need to investigate who built it, who broke it, or when they did it.
- Doesn't matter if the griefer built with "natural" blocks, it will still be fixed.
- No database.
- No backups.
- No chunk regeneration (it's dangerous for technical reasons).
- Fixes bad chunk generations, like floating islands. It will be better than new.
- Fills holes, even next to water to correct big spills.
- Smooths noisy terrain.
- No griefer construction is safe. If it's unnatural enough to be noticeable by players, it will be removed or filled-in.
- Land claims can't be used as a griefing tool.
- Land claims beyond the first require a golden shovel.
- Minimum claim size prevents sprinkling small claims to annoy other players.
- Max claim allowance grows with time played on the server, and can't be cheated by idling.
- It's impossible to get a player "stuck" inside a land claim.
- A simple administrative slash command will instantly remove all of a griefer's claims, no matter where they are.
- Catches clever griefers.
- Enhances the /ban command to ban ALL a griefer's accounts (not just his IP address).
- Logs sign placements.
- Optionally, logs whispers and opens them to administrative eavesdropping.
- /SoftMute command to shut down chat trolls without them knowing they're beaten.
- PvP Protections.
- When PvP is off, no setting fire or dumping lava near other players.
- Absolutely bullet-proof anti-spawn-camping protection, which requires no configuration.
- No logging out, stashing items, or using plugin teleportation to escape combat.
- Optional siege mode, to answer players who hide in their claimed houses to avoid combat.
- Supports your server growth.
- Permit players to exchange server currency for claim blocks (requires configuration and other plugins).
- Grant claim blocks automatically for votes, donations, etc (console command provided, other plugins required).
- Setup and Configuration
- How To Guide for Administrators
- Command and Permissions Reference
- Troubleshooting and Common Questions
- Extension Plugins
- PvP Protection and Optional Siege PvP Mode
- How Anti-Spam Works
- Compatibility with non-CraftBukkit Servers
- Notes on Performance
More Great Plugins!
- Limits how quickly players can mine valuables, based on their play time / values mined ratio.
- Keeps your valuables in the ground, so non-cheating players can find them (unlike ore loggers).
- Practically free to run, unlike the tremendously expensive Orebfuscator.
- Most legit players won't notice, but xrayers will ragequit and move on.
- Population Density
- Automatically assigns new players to wilderness where they'll find other new players and plenty of space, wood, and ore.
- Optional teleportation system which can't be abused by players to escape combat or save them from being lost.
- Login queue to guarantee fairness when the server is full.
- Optional reserved spots for administrators.
- Automatically removes idle players when the server is nearly full.
- Allows the use of Hoppers with EnderChests inside a Claim
- Items are taken from and added to the EnderChest inventory of the Claim owner
- Supports The Better Ender Chest Plugin
Project Status and Future
From BigScary: I've re-joined the project. Yes, I know many of you had a very bad experience with the beta builds, there were many bugs. We've rolled-back the buggy features which were added after I left the project, and then I continued the project from there as if I hadn't left in the first place. So far, I've added UUID support, greatly improved performance during play time and boot time, blocked new grief strategies made possible by changes to the game since I last worked on the project, cleaned up the config files, and tweaked several features for much improved player and administrator experiences. I've even added some new anti-grief features.
My current plan is to wait for a new mod platform to emerge (spongepowered.org is looking promising), then build a new grief prevention plugin for that new platform. Until then, I will continue working on this project as I always have. No other project I've ever worked on in my career as a software engineer compares to GriefPrevention's mix of fun, challenge, and importance to the community.
How to Upgrade to 8.0+ Builds
Starting with GriefPrevention 8.0.3, you can keep any claims and player data that was created by the broken "beta" builds. You just have to customize your config file again (a new config.yml will be generated in a folder named "GriefPreventionData").
Starting with GriefPrevention 8.1 which supports UUID (player name changes), GriefPrevention will do a one-time data update during boot. This can take a very long time - up to 1 second for each player who has ever played on your server. This is because GP has to contact Mojang via the interwebs to get the correct UUID for each player. At this time, it seems this process works well for offline mode and online mode servers, but there are mixed reviews for the hybrid "Bungee Cord" configuration (try it, but back-up first!). In any case, please back up before you take on this major update. If you have any problems, restore your data from backup, use the older version of GP which was working for you for now, and get your logs to me so I can investigate. :)
These are my top priorities right now. It's not a complete list of everything I plan to do. :)
- Allow owners to interact with their pets even when in other players' land claims.
- Protect tamed animals everywhere in non-PvP worlds, with the exception of those left in other players' land claims after the animal's owner logs out.
- Stop negative splash potion status effects from applying to players who should be protected from PvP. (Damage is already blocked)
- Look into killer bunnies not being damageable in other players' land claims.
- Improve boot speed for flat file mode.
- Prevent nether portal traps.
- Prevent placing a nether portal in a land claim by building a portal in another world.
- Fix sand/gravel cannons.
- Require players to move at least a block after logging in before allowing them to chat (anti-bot strategy).
- Update /RestoreNature for new block types in 1.8.
- Update /RestoreNature to handle water better.
- Update /RestoreNature to regrow trees.
- Prevent claiming land inside a world guard region unless the claimant has permission to build in the region.
I'm aware there are issues specific to modded (not CraftBukkit or Spigot) servers. I do plan to address those, but I'm waiting for Cauldron to update to 1.8.
Please Vote for Grief Prevention
I've just posted Grief Prevention on the Spigot site. If you love GP, please take a couple of minutes to give GP your rating and leave a short review. Better rating and positive reviews will help server owners who look for plugins on the Spigot site make the safe choice (GP) instead of downloading something sketchy or incomplete. :) Thanks so much for all your support!
Recent Major Changes
- Finding offline players by name - Version 9.0 and higher. For sake of performance (not producing lag), players and admins can only target offline players who've recently logged in with Grief Prevention slash commands like /trust, /transferclaim, /claimslist, and so on. I plan to keep working on this to make all players targettable without causing a lag problem. This limit on who can be targetted is a temporary solution to work around a problem introduced by the CraftBukkit team when they made the switch to support player UUIDs.
- UUID Conversion - Version 8.1 and higher. During boot, an often very slow, one-time conversion process will replace player names in your data with player UUIDs. This process can take as long as one second for each player who has EVER played on your server. Make a backup before you upgrade, and please be patient. If this process is interrupted, you'll have to restore from backup and start over. This change will ensure players who change their names will not lose claim blocks or access to their land claims. If there's a problem, I need to know whether you're online/offline/bungee, whether in database or flat file mode, I need your boot logs from the conversion attempt, and if possible, a snapshot of your data from before the update.
- Disabled worlds in config - Version 8.5 and higher. If a world is "disabled" for land claims, then no land claims which already exist in that world (including administrative land claims) will be protected. For those upgrading from an earlier version ONLY, to ensure all existing land claims are protected, GP has defaulted worlds which were disabled to allow claims again, including player-made land claims. If this isn't what you want, update your config.yml.
- Piston limiting - Version 8.1.7 and higher. Pistons won't move blocks outside of land claims. This is a huge performance win, but if you want the old rules back, there's a new config option to disable this rule. Yes, players do get an explanation/warning when they place pistons outside of land claims, to avoid confusion for newly-placed pistons.
- /DeathBlow Removed - Version 9.3 and higher. It's no longer necessary, since the items players drop on death are now protected. This protection is on by default in non-PvP worlds, and off by default in PvP worlds. You may customize it in the config file.
All Recent Changes
- Players may now give away pets with /GivePet.
- Pets are now protected from many build-based attacks, for example flint/steel, lava buckets, and sand/gravel (suffocation), keeping them safe when you take them with you outside your land claims.
- Admins may now damage other players' pets using /IgnoreClaims, and can use /IgnoreClaims to transfer another player's pet with /GivePet.
- Added pet protections.
- * The original tamer of a pet has access to that pet at all times, even in another player's land claim.
- * Only the original tamer of a pet may interact with or damage it, even when it's in another player's land claim.
- * Protections are on by default in non-pvp worlds and off by default in the rest. You can customize this in the config file.
- * "Wild" untamed pet ownership is determined by the land claim the pet is in, if any.
- * I plan to allow for administrative overrides (/ignoreClaims) with pets, and to allow players to give away their pets in the near future. If players have "traded" pets, your best option for resolving it in the short term is either turning off pet protections for now, or killing the pet and spawning a new one in its place (so it can be retamed). I also plan to protect pets from damage by simple build, for example fire and lava.
- Fixed overzealous item protections preventing players from picking up items that shouldn't have been protected.
- Fixed unwanted log entries related to sending messages about commands used in console mode (like /acb from the console).
- Fixed armor stand protection again (the Spigot team broke it).
- Fixed log entries related to chat slash command usage.
- Water will no longer flow from top level claim into a subdivision, or vice-versa.
- Administrators may now view all nearby claims at once by holding shift and right-clicking with the stick (permission: "griefprevention.visualizenearbyclaims").
- Allowed /claimExplosions to bypass the "no exploding blocks above sea level" rule in survival worlds.
- Dropped prohibitions against placing hoppers and hopper minecarts underneath land claims.
- Added more control over in-game eavesdropping (signs and private messages) to the config.
- Fixed disappearing subdivisions.
- Removed /DeathBlow. The items players drop when they die are now protected, so there's no need for administrators to /DeathBlow thieves after an incident. This is on by default in non-PvP worlds, and off by default in PvP worlds. You may customize it in the config file.
- Fire protections (spread, block ignition, block destruction) now apply only to worlds where land claims are enabled.
- Admins will now get in-game education about /ac and /acb commands when it's helpful.
- Fixed log spam related to minecarts taking damage.
- Armor stands may now be placed in land claims in creative mode worlds.
- In-game sign logging (in the chat box) now includes the sign's coordinates, and is formatted much better.
- /DeleteAllAdminClaims works again.
- Fixed "all birch doors are locked" problem for new servers. Anyone upgrading should remove ID 194 from the "container trust" list in their config file.
- Partially fixed "new admin land claims are always 1x1". You can create a larger admin land claim by using the shovel from far away (not right up against the block you're right-clicking on). There's a CraftBukkit/Spigot bug fix that needs to happen before this can be totally fixed.
- All the new door types are now lockable (see config).
- Creating or destroying an armor stand requires build permission in the land claim.
- Interacting with an armor stand also requires build permission.
- The new fence gate types are now lockable (see config).
- Banners are protected.
- Faster player name lookup by UUID (general performance boost).
- Back compatibility fix for the API - the allowBuild() method.
- Non-Vanilla items are now treated with suspicion - trying to right-click with them while pointing at a claimed block requires build trust.
- Now caching more offline players so that they can be found by name, for fewer "player not found" errors.
- Greatly reduced CPU time finding offline players by name, but only recent players (within the last week) are targettable.
- Referring to offline players with commands is now back for all players.
- Fixed creeper explosions injuring claimed animals.
- Fixed land claim slash commands sometimes not working for very small land claims and subdivisions.
- Fixed "max accrued blocks" missing from the config file.
- Added a config option to give players only part of their claim blocks back when they abandon a claim. It's off by default.
- Milking cows now requires only /containerTrust, not /trust.
- /gpreload is working now.
- Now compatible with TheUnderground mod.
- Fixed players stealing animals with fishing rods.
- Fixed players harassing other players in land claims using snowballs (on PvP servers configured such that land claims should be PvP-free zones).
- Performance improvements for player logout, claim cleanup, claim block delivery, and claim lookup.
|File Name||Release Type||Game Version||Downloads||Date|
|9.3 for CB 1.8||Release||1.0.0||707||12/09/2014|
|9.2.2 for CB 1.8||Release||1.0.0||853||12/04/2014|
|9.2.1 for CB 1.8||Release||1.1||183||12/03/2014|
|9.2 for CB 1.8||Release||CB 1.7.9-R0.2||389||12/02/2014|
|8.0.1 for CB 1.7.10 DEV||Release||CB 1.7.9-R0.2||65||09/08/2014|
|8.0 for CB 1.7.10 DEV||Release||CB 1.7.9-R0.2||254||09/06/2014|
- World Editing and Management and Admin Tools
- 181,116 Monthly Downloads
- Soartex Fanver
- Mod Support, Animated, Traditional, Modern, and 64x
- 175,622 Monthly Downloads
- Developer Tools and Admin Tools
- 171,012 Monthly Downloads
- Admin Tools, Anti-Griefing Tools, Informational, Teleportation, and World Editing and Management
- 151,785 Monthly Downloads
- Diversity 2
- Adventure, Parkour, Puzzle, Survival, and Game Map
- 131,618 Monthly Downloads