AUTOMATICALLY PREVENTS ALL FORMS OF GRIEF, including build/break, theft, spam, fire, spawn camping, lava and more, so you don't have to undo any damage after the fact. No configuration or database required! Stop responding to grief and prevent it instead. Grief Prevention will solve your grief problems without requiring you to manage a roster of trained administrators, juggle 10 different anti-grief plugins, take away cool standard game features, publish a training manual / tutorial for players, or add explanatory signs to your world. You can also choose to integrate PvP elements into build design to finally get a PvP experience befitting a sandbox game about creativity.
Grief Prevention stops grief before it starts automatically without any effort from administrators, and with very little (self service) effort from players. Solve all your grief problems with a single download, no database, and no configuration step.
Official Servers (Try it for yourself!)
You can experience this plugin for yourself (as a player) by joining any of these public servers. :) We maintain these servers personally, which helps us catch bugs and spot opportunities for new features and improvements. Have fun!
- BeardCraft bit.ly/beardcraftfb
- Epic Minecrafter play.epicminecrafter.com
Downloads by Minecraft Version
Please choose the version that matches your Minecraft server version! :)
- GriefPrevention for Minecraft 1.8.*
- GriefPrevention for Minecraft 1.7.10
- GriefPrevention for all other versions
- Setup and Configuration
- How To Guide for Administrators
- Command and Permissions Reference
- Extension Plugins
- PvP Protection and Optional Siege PvP Mode
- How Anti-Spam Works
Yes, everything is customizable. See Setup and Configuration.
- No database or world backups required.
- Extremely efficient CPU / RAM usage.
- Land claims are easy to manage.
- New players get automatic claims around their first chests.
- Players who ask for help in chat get an instant link to a demonstration video.
- Resizing claims and creating new claims is done with ONLY the mouse, no slash commands.
- When a player appears to be building something nice outside his claim, he's warned and shown his claim boundaries.
- Claim boundaries are easy to see, and don't require any client-side mod installation.
- Extremely easy-to-remember, single-parameter slash commands for giving other players permissions.
- Claim subdivision and granular permissions are available to organize towns and cities. Watch this video.
- It's IMPOSSIBLE to grief a land claim. Watch this video.
- No building or breaking.
- No stealing from ANY containers.
- No sleeping in beds.
- No button/lever usage.
- No adjusting redstone repeaters.
- No pushing blocks in with pistons.
- No pulling blocks out with pistons.
- No TNT damage.
- No creeper damage.
- No damage from TNT cannons.
- No explosive damage from other plugins, like Extra Hard Mode or Magic Spells.
- No enderman block changes.
- All doors may be automatically locked (optional, see config file).
- No killing or luring animals away.
- No stealing water (e.g. buckets).
- No trampling crops, by players, animals, or monsters.
- No building overtop, all claims reach to the max build height.
- No placing or breaking paintings / item frames.
- Fluids will not flow into a claim from outside.
- No placing blocks via TNT/Sand/Gravel cannon.
- No placing portals without build permission (even by walking through a portal in another world).
- Pets and death loot are protected.
- Players can't pick up what another player dropped on death without permission.
- All types of pets are protected everywhere, even outside of land claims (can be configured per-world).
- Excellent anti-spam protection
- Warns, then mutes, then may kick or ban spammers (configurable - you choose).
- Most spammers get only one message out before they're muted.
- Blocks server advertising (IP addresses).
- Blocks repeat message spam.
- Blocks ASCII art (ex. Nyan Cats) spam.
- Blocks similar message spam.
- Blocks unreadable (gibberish) message spam.
- Blocks CAPS.
- Blocks macro spam (very different messages in quick succession).
- Blocks login/logout spam, even when the spammer has multiple accounts.
- Blocks death spam.
- Blocks bot team spam.
- Blocks slash command spam, including /tell, /emote, and any more you add.
- Wilderness Protection and Rollback
- Fire doesn't spread or destroy blocks.
- Creepers and other explosions don't destroy blocks above sea level.
- TNT doesn't destroy blocks above sea level.
- No planting trees on platforms in the sky ("tree grief").
- Instant, point and click nature restoration for not-claimed areas. Watch this video.
- Insanely easy and fast fixes for penises, swastikas, and anything else unsightly.
- Point at what you don't like and click, and it's fixed. Even from far away.
- Never accidentally changes blocks inside land claims.
- No need to investigate who built it, who broke it, or when they did it.
- Doesn't matter if the griefer built with "natural" blocks, it will still be fixed.
- No database.
- No backups.
- No chunk regeneration (it's dangerous for technical reasons).
- Fixes bad chunk generations, like floating islands. It will be better than new.
- Fills holes, even next to water to correct big spills.
- Smooths noisy terrain.
- No griefer construction is safe. If it's unnatural enough to be noticeable by players, it will be removed or filled-in.
- Land claims can't be used as a griefing tool.
- It's impossible to get a player "stuck" inside a land claim.
- Land claims beyond the first require a golden shovel.
- Minimum claim size prevents sprinkling small claims to annoy other players.
- Max claim allowance grows with time played on the server, and can't be cheated by idling.
- A simple administrative slash command will instantly remove all of a griefer's claims, no matter where they are.
- Catches clever griefers.
- Enhances the /ban command to ban ALL a griefer's accounts (not just his IP address).
- Logs sign placements.
- /SoftMute command to shut down chat trolls without them knowing they're beaten.
- PvP Protections.
- When PvP is off, no setting fire or dumping lava near other players.
- Absolutely bullet-proof anti-spawn-camping protection including bed respawns, which requires no configuration.
- No logging out, stashing items, or using plugin teleportation to escape combat.
- Optional siege mode, to answer players who hide in their claimed houses to avoid combat.
- Supports your server growth.
- Permit players to exchange server currency for claim blocks (requires configuration and other plugins).
- Grant claim blocks automatically for votes, donations, etc (console command provided, other plugins required).
More Great Plugins!
- Limits how quickly players can mine valuables, based on their play time / values mined ratio.
- Keeps your valuables in the ground, so non-cheating players can find them (unlike ore loggers).
- Practically free to run, unlike the tremendously expensive Orebfuscator.
- Most legit players won't notice, but xrayers will ragequit and move on.
- Population Density
- Automatically assigns new players to wilderness where they'll find other new players and plenty of space, wood, and ore.
- Optional teleportation system which can't be abused by players to escape combat or save them from being lost.
- Login queue to guarantee fairness when the server is full.
- Optional reserved spots for administrators.
- Automatically removes idle players when the server is nearly full.
- Smart, multi-layered anti-lag feature set.
These are my top priorities right now. It's not a complete list of everything I plan to do. :)
- More performance tweaks.
- Update /RestoreNature for new block types in 1.8.
- Update /RestoreNature to handle water better.
- Update /RestoreNature to regrow trees.
- Fix killer bunnies not being damageable in other players' land claims (because Bukkit labels them "animals", not "monsters").
- Add an abridged, easy-to-read chat log which auto-deletes its old data.
- A /ignore command for players.
- A /separate command to force two players to ignore each other.
Please Vote for Grief Prevention
I've just posted Grief Prevention on the Spigot site. If you love GP, please take a couple of minutes to give GP your rating and leave a short review. Better rating and positive reviews will help server owners who look for plugins on the Spigot site make the safe choice (GP) instead of downloading something sketchy or incomplete. :) Thanks so much for all your support!
Recent Major Changes
- Buy/sell blocks uses bonus blocks, not accrued - Version 11.0.2 and higher. When you have server economy integration enabled, players can't sell accrued blocks anymore, only bonus blocks. Also when they buy, those purchased blocks go into their bonus blocks.
- Nether portal protections disabled by default - Version 10.6 and higher. For sake of performance, the feature which prevents nether portals from being created in land claims without permission (by creating a nether portal at the corresponding coordinates in another dimension) is turned off by default. You can enable it in your config file. This "grief" is very difficult to execute, opportunities to attempt it are rare, and it's surprisingly expensive to prevent. Even when it works, the "victim" might actually be appreciative, since he didn't have a nether portal nearby already.
- PvP worlds reset - Version 10.4 and higher. This area of the config file has been frustrating for many for a long time. I've rewritten it to be more readable, much easier to edit, and now you can have an empty PvP worlds list on a PvP server, if that's what you want. When you update to this version, you will have to customize this part of the config file again (if you ever customized it at all).
- Finding offline players by name - Version 9.0 and higher. For sake of performance (not producing lag), players and admins can only target offline players who've recently logged in with Grief Prevention slash commands like /trust, /transferclaim, /claimslist, and so on. I plan to keep working on this to make all players targettable without causing a lag problem. This limit on who can be targetted is a temporary solution to work around a problem introduced by the CraftBukkit team when they made the switch to support player UUIDs.
- UUID Conversion - Version 8.1 and higher. During boot, an often very slow, one-time conversion process will replace player names in your data with player UUIDs. This process can take as long as one second for each player who has EVER played on your server. Make a backup before you upgrade, and please be patient. If this process is interrupted, you'll have to restore from backup and start over. This change will ensure players who change their names will not lose claim blocks or access to their land claims. If there's a problem, I need to know whether you're online/offline/bungee, whether in database or flat file mode, I need your boot logs from the conversion attempt, and if possible, a snapshot of your data from before the update.
- Disabled worlds in config - Version 8.5 and higher. If a world is "disabled" for land claims, then no land claims which already exist in that world (including administrative land claims) will be protected. For those upgrading from an earlier version ONLY, to ensure all existing land claims are protected, GP has defaulted worlds which were disabled to allow claims again, including player-made land claims. If this isn't what you want, update your config.yml.
- Piston limiting - Version 8.1.7 and higher. Pistons won't move blocks outside of land claims. This is a huge performance win, but if you want the old rules back, there's a new config option to disable this rule. Yes, players do get an explanation/warning when they place pistons outside of land claims, to avoid confusion for newly-placed pistons.
- /DeathBlow Removed - Version 9.3 and higher. It's no longer necessary, since the items players drop on death are now protected. This protection is on by default in non-PvP worlds, and off by default in PvP worlds. You may customize it in the config file. You can still use /kill to kill a player, although /kill will not send the player's inventory to another player as /deathblow did.
All Recent Changes
- Added support for RoyalCommands plugin.
- Fixed /restorenature bugs associated with setting the sea level very low.
- Configuring GP to not protect horses now also stops them from being protected from damage in land claims.
DO NOT Update GriefPrevention to 11.3 or later until you've updated your server to the LATEST 1.8.3. If you do, explosion protection and other critical anti-grief features will NOT WORK. This is due to a change made by the Spigot/CraftBukkit team.
- Fixed standard explosions destroying blocks where they shouldn't in 1.8.3 servers.
- Fixed plugin-generated explosions (Essentials Protect, Extra Hard Mode, Cannons, etc) destroying blocks in 1.8.3 servers.
- Hoppy Easter! - Spawn eggs now require build permission in survival worlds (they already did in creative worlds).
- Hoppy Easter! - Dragon eggs now require build permission to teleport (left or right click).
- Fixed players selling spent claim blocks with /sellclaimblocks.
- Faster almost everything.
- Faster visualizations.
- Fixed PvP immune players being able to attack pets.
- /ClaimExplosions and the config option to enable explosion damage in all claims both override the sea level protections now. Exception: Still absolutely no explosion damage in creative mode worlds, where griefers have unlimited TNT.
- Fixed PvP rules applying in worlds NOT in the PvP worlds list.
- Added a config option to allow explosions to damage claimed blocks. The griefing potential is big - please don't enable this unless you have another plugin to limit the damage, like for example CreeperHeal.
- Better logging for blocked chat messages (the reason for the mute is recorded).
- Better sign notifications and logging.
- Signs with IP addresses not on the allowed list are now blocked.
- Fixed a bug which sometimes caused players to be unfairly punished for logging out on servers which use WorldGuard to limit PvP.
- Removed a debug log message (oops, how embarassing!).
- Fixed some clever players keeping PvP immunity while having inventory by receiving items via other plugins.
- When you have server economy integration enabled, players can't sell accrued blocks anymore, only bonus blocks. Also when they buy, those purchased blocks go into their bonus blocks.
- Fixed abandoning subdivisions penalizing blocks when optional abandon return ratio feature is enabled.
- Fixed ender pearl teleportation putting players into pvp combat mode.
- Reduced tolerance for IP address spam.
- Now "suspicious" water and lava bucket dumps will be logged (player name, fluid type, and coordinates).
- Villagers will now take damage from monsters, even in land claims (this was intended before, but a bug prevented it).
- Minor performance boost for visualizations.
- Eating cake now requires /containertrust or higher permission.
- Fixed a protection bug involving slime blocks.
- Made boot a lot faster for servers who have seen lots of players.
- Added a new claims mode you can use in your config file, "SurvivalRequiringClaims". This will work well for servers who have a separate resource world and want to limit their players to building only inside their land claims in other worlds, and very badly for other server types. This has some potential design problems (how do they get a golden shovel? What if they die and lose it?), which are yours to solve in the way you think best fits your server.
- Cancelled ender pearl teleportations won't consume the ender pearl anymore.
- /sethome now requires /accesstrust or higher permission. You may disable this or add more slash commands for this rule in the config file.
- Added griefprevention.siegeimmune permission to make a player immune to the /siege command.
- Added /setaccruedclaimblocks (/scb) to set accrued blocks to a specified value. They will auto-correct if you set them above the maximum you've set in your config file, or if you set them less than zero. /acb is still the best choice for almost all situations, but if you need this, now you have it.
- Fixed players selling their initial claim blocks.
- Perf boost for boot sequence (file and db modes).
- Bug fixes for /claimslist output.
- Tweaked spam filter tolerance for similar messages.
- Claimed animals can't be poisoned with splash potions anymore (minor issue - poison doesn't kill).
- /TransferClaim without any player specified will make a claim an administrative claim.
- /TransferClaim doesn't change player bonus blocks anymore.
- /TransferClaim now requires griefprevention.transferclaim permission.
- /GivePet now requires griefprevention.givepet permission (all players have this by default).
- /ClaimsList <otherPlayer> now requires griefprevention.claimslistother permission.
- Automatic claim block count fix-ups. If a player has fewer than the initial claim blocks accrued, that will be corrected by increasing accured blocks. If a player has more total land claimed than he has claim blocks (bonus or accrued), that will be corrected by increasing accrued and/or bonus blocks. Neither of these will happen instantly, but rather over time as players with these issues log in and play.
- Fixed dispenser arrows damaging claimed animals (recently broken by environmental damage to minecarts changes).
- Fixed self damage putting a player "in combat" and therefore subject to GP's PvP rules.
- Animals and monsters won't trample crops anymore (players were already covered).
- Fixed /GivePet not working in PvP worlds.
- Cauldrons now require at least /ContainerTrust to fill or empty.
- Minor fix for UUID migration on very large servers.
- Untrusting a player in a top level claim will now also remove that player's explicit permissions in any subclaims of that top level claim.
- Bug fix for UUID migration.
- Hoppers will no longer pick up protected player item drops due to death, preventing lethal traps from stealing them.
- For sake of performance, the feature which prevents nether portals from being created in land claims without permission (by creating a nether portal at the corresponding coordinates in another dimension) is turned off by default. You can enable it in your config file. This "grief" is very difficult to execute, opportunities to attempt it are rare, and it's surprisingly expensive to prevent.
- Admins with both adminclaims and deleteclaims permissions may now resize another player's land claim to smaller than the minimum.
- UUID migration is now a lot faster.
- Made expanding chest claims a little easier for new players.
- Fixed database connections going stale on some servers.
- Fixed a UUID migration bug for database mode servers upgrading from very specific earlier versions.
- Fixed rabbit theft using jump splash potions and carrot bait.
- Now GP knows about the WorldGuard override permissions, which makes the WorldGuard compat feature work more smoothly for admins.
- Claims expand down faster now when you build underneath one you're allowed to build in.
- Removed the "claim creation requires permission" option. Now it's always on, and all players have permission by default. You can use a permissions plugin to take away custom land claim privileges for specific players or all players.
- Might have worked-around the mcMMO bug which allows players to inflict "bleed" effect on protected animals.
- Fixed players trampling crops (broke it last version, my mistake!).
- Performance boost for player interact event.
- Fixed claims expiring too fast on new creative mode servers.
- Fixed data migration rolling back claim blocks for some players with uppercase letters in their names.
- Fixed a minor protection bug stemming from a Vanilla bug.
- Fixed "someone" instead of player name for players in their first session on your server.
- Fixed an admin chat message having an unclickable link in creative mode worlds.
- Fixed a database migration bug.
- Fixed a UUID migration bug.
- When creatures tramping crops is allowed, player-controlled mounts will no longer damage crops.
- When players log in, they have to move at least one block before they can chat (this is an anti-botting strategy). Players who've earned the trivial "got wood" achievement on your server are exempt from this rule.
- Attacking a villager in a land claim now requires build trust, since villagers are potentially a major investment. Interaction (right click) is still container level trust.
- Because item frames and armor stands are decorative, they're part of your build's aesthetic and now require build trust to destroy. Interaction (right click) is still container level trust.
- Fixed visualizations showing at most one subclaim. Now they show them all again.
- No more log spam about grass. This was a debug message related to sheep eating grass that I accidentally left in. :\
- Added a 10-minute cooldown period for being warned about building outside of your land claims.
- Greatly improved the performance of the "claim block delivery" task.
- Interacting/trading with a villager now requires container trust (same as animals other inventory).
- Inverting a daylight sensor (right click) now requires build permission.
- /rnf now works better in grassy areas.
- No more sign notifications for signs which contain only spaces.
|File Name||Release Type||Game Version||Downloads||Date|
- Tinkers Construct
- Mobs, Processing, Technology, and Armor, Tools, and Weapons
- 342,786 Monthly Downloads
- CoFH Core
- Server Utility and API and Library
- 246,934 Monthly Downloads
- API and Library
- 228,025 Monthly Downloads
- Admin Tools, Anti-Griefing Tools, Informational, Teleportation, and World Editing and Management
- 222,268 Monthly Downloads
- World Editing and Management and Admin Tools
- 215,325 Monthly Downloads