AUTOMATICALLY PREVENTS ALL FORMS OF GRIEF, including build/break, theft, spam, fire, spawn camping, lava, treetopping and more, so you don't have to undo any damage after the fact. No configuration or database required! Stop responding to grief and prevent it instead. Grief Prevention will solve your grief problems without requiring you to manage a roster of trained administrators, juggle 10 different anti-grief plugins, take away cool standard game features, publish a training manual / tutorial for players, or add explanatory signs to your world. You can also choose to integrate PvP elements into build design to finally get a PvP experience befitting a sandbox game about creativity.
Grief Prevention stops grief before it starts automatically without any effort from administrators, and with very little (self service) effort from players. Solve all your grief problems with a single download, no database, and no configuration step.
Official Servers (Try it for yourself!)
You can experience this plugin for yourself (as a player) by joining any of these public servers. :) We maintain these servers personally, which helps us catch bugs and spot opportunities for new features and improvements. Have fun!
- BeardCraft bit.ly/beardcraft
- Epic Minecrafter play.epicminecrafter.com
Yes, everything is customizable. See Setup and Configuration.
- No database or world backups required.
- Extremely efficient CPU / RAM usage.
- Land claims are easy to manage.
- New players get automatic claims around their first chests.
- Players who ask for help in chat get an instant link to a demonstration video.
- Resizing claims and creating new claims is done with ONLY the mouse, no slash commands.
- When a player appears to be building something nice outside his claim, he's warned and shown his claim boundaries.
- Claim boundaries are easy to see, and don't require any client-side mod installation.
- Extremely easy-to-remember, single-parameter slash commands for giving other players permissions.
- Claim subdivision and granular permissions are available to organize towns and cities. Watch this video.
- It's IMPOSSIBLE to grief a land claim. Watch this video.
- No building or breaking.
- No stealing from ANY containers.
- No using crafting equipment.
- No sleeping in beds.
- No button/lever usage.
- No adjusting redstone repeaters.
- No pushing blocks in with pistons.
- No pulling blocks out with pistons.
- No TNT damage.
- No creeper damage.
- No damage from TNT cannons.
- No explosive damage from other plugins, like Extra Hard Mode or Magic Spells.
- No enderman block changes.
- All doors may be automatically locked (optional, see config file).
- No killing or luring animals away.
- No stealing water.
- No trampling crops, by players, animals, or monsters.
- No growing trees inside the claim by planting outside.
- No building overtop, all claims reach to the max build height.
- No placing or breaking paintings / item frames.
- Fluids will not flow into a claim from outside.
- Excellent anti-spam protection
- Warns, then mutes, then may kick or bans (configurable) spammers.
- Most spammers get only one message out before they're muted.
- Almost no false positives.
- Blocks server advertising.
- Blocks repeat message spam.
- Blocks ASCII art (ex. Nyan Cats) spam.
- Blocks similar message spam.
- Blocks unreadable (gibberish) message spam.
- Blocks CAPS.
- Blocks macro spam (very different messages in quick succession).
- Blocks login/logout spam, even when the spammer has multiple accounts.
- Blocks death spam.
- Blocks slash command spam, including /tell, /emote, and any more you add.
- Wilderness Protection and Rollback
- Fire doesn't spread or destroy blocks.
- Creepers and other explosions don't destroy blocks above sea level.
- TNT doesn't destroy blocks above sea level.
- Griefers can't dump water or lava above sea level, unless they claim the land first.
- The fluid will not flow out of the claim.
- Deleting the claim removes the fluid to prevent spillage.
- No planting trees on platforms in the sky ("tree grief").
- Instant, point and click nature restoration for not-claimed areas. Watch this video.
- Insanely easy and fast fixes for penises, swastikas, and anything else unsightly.
- Point at what you don't like and click, and it's fixed. Even from far away.
- Never accidentally changes blocks inside land claims.
- No need to investigate who built it, who broke it, or when they did it.
- Doesn't matter if the griefer built with "natural" blocks, it will still be fixed.
- No database.
- No backups.
- No chunk regeneration (it's dangerous for technical reasons).
- Fixes bad chunk generations, like floating islands. It will be better than new.
- Fills holes, even next to water to correct big spills.
- Smooths noisy terrain.
- No griefer construction is safe. If it's unnatural enough to be noticeable by players, it will be removed or filled-in.
- Land claims can't be used as a griefing tool.
- Land claims beyond the first require a golden shovel.
- Minimum claim size prevents sprinkling small claims to annoy other players.
- Max claim allowance grows with time played on the server, and can't be cheated by idling.
- It's impossible to get a player "stuck" inside a land claim.
- A simple administrative slash command will instantly remove all of a griefer's claims, no matter where they are.
- Catches clever griefers.
- Enhances the /ban command to ban ALL a griefer's accounts (not just his IP address).
- Logs sign placements.
- Optionally, logs whispers and opens them to administrative eavesdropping.
- PvP Protections.
- When PvP is off, no setting fire or dumping lava near other players.
- Absolutely bullet-proof anti-spawn-camping protection, which requires no configuration.
- No logging out, stashing items, or using plugin teleportation to escape combat.
- Optional siege mode, to answer players who hide in their claimed houses to avoid combat.
- Supports your server growth.
- Permit players to exchange server currency for claim blocks (requires configuration and other plugins).
- Grant claim blocks automatically for votes, donations, etc (console command provided, other plugins required).
- Setup and Configuration
- How To Guide for Administrators
- Command and Permissions Reference
- Troubleshooting and Common Questions
- Extension Plugins
- PvP Protection and Optional Siege PvP Mode
- How Anti-Spam Works
- Compatibility with non-CraftBukkit Servers
- Notes on Performance
More Great Plugins!
- Limits how quickly players can mine valuables, based on their play time / values mined ratio.
- Keeps your valuables in the ground, so non-cheating players can find them (unlike ore loggers).
- Practically free to run, unlike the tremendously expensive Orebfuscator.
- Most legit players won't notice, but xrayers will ragequit and move on.
- Population Density
- Automatically assigns new players to wilderness where they'll find other new players and plenty of space, wood, and ore.
- Optional teleportation system which can't be abused by players to escape combat or save them from being lost.
- Login queue to guarantee fairness when the server is full.
- Optional reserved spots for administrators.
- Automatically removes idle players when the server is nearly full.
- Allows the use of Hoppers with EnderChests inside a Claim
- Items are taken from and added to the EnderChest inventory of the Claim owner
- Supports The Better Ender Chest Plugin
Project Status and Future
From BigScary: I've re-joined the project. Yes, I know many of you had a very bad experience with the beta builds, there were many bugs. We've rolled-back the buggy features which were added after I left the project, and then I continued the project from there as if I hadn't left in the first place. So far, I've added UUID support, greatly improved performance during play time and boot time, blocked new grief strategies made possible by changes to the game since I last worked on the project, cleaned up the config files, and tweaked several features for much improved player and administrator experiences.
Because all of the Bukkit staff have simultaneously quit the project, it's extremely unlikely that Bukkit will ever be updated to support Minecraft 1.8 or later servers. Also, there's a legal issue which resulted in all craftbukkit builds being removed from the internet in general. The law is slow, so that makes future bukkit versions even less likely.
Due to these circumstances, my current plan is to wait for a new mod platform to emerge (spongepowered.org is looking promising), then build a new grief prevention plugin for that new platform. Until then, I will continue working on this project as I always have. No other project I've ever worked on in my career as a software engineer compares to GriefPrevention's mix of fun, challenge, and importance to the community.
How to Upgrade to 8.0+ Builds
Starting with GriefPrevention 8.0.3, you can keep any claims and player data that was created by the broken "beta" builds. You just have to customize your config file again (a new config.yml will be generated in a folder named "GriefPreventionData").
Starting with GriefPrevention 8.1 which supports UUID (player name changes), GriefPrevention will do a one-time data update during boot. This can take a very long time - up to 1 second for each player who has ever played on your server. This is because GP has to contact Mojang via the interwebs to get the correct UUID for each player. At this time, it seems this process works well for offline mode and online mode servers, but there are mixed reviews for the hybrid "Bungee Cord" configuration (try it, but back-up first!). In any case, please back up before you take on this major update. If you have any problems, restore your data from backup, use the older version of GP which was working for you for now, and get your logs to me so I can investigate. :)
Recent Major Changes
- Disabled worlds in config - Version 8.5 and higher. If a world is "disabled" for land claims, then no land claims which already exist in that world (including administrative land claims) will be protected. For those upgrading from an earlier version ONLY, to ensure all existing land claims are protected, GP has defaulted worlds which were disabled to allow claims again, including player-made land claims. If this isn't what you want, update your config.yml.
- UUID Conversion - Version 8.1 and higher. During boot, an often very slow, one-time conversion process will replace player names in your data with player UUIDs. This process can take as long as one second for each player who has EVER played on your server. Make a backup before you upgrade, and please be patient. If this process is interrupted, you'll have to restore from backup and start over. This change will ensure players who change their names will not lose claim blocks or access to their land claims. If there's a problem, I need to know whether you're online/offline/bungee, whether in database or flat file mode, I need your boot logs from the conversion attempt, and if possible, a snapshot of your data from before the update.
- Data format update - Version 8.0.3 and higher. This version can load data saved by the buggy "beta" versions released over the last year or so. Make a backup before you update, just in case there's an issue. If there's a problem, I need to know whether you're online/offline/bungee, whether in database or flat file mode, I need your boot logs from the conversion attempt, and if possible, a snapshot of your data from before the update.
- Tree growth limiting - Version 8.1.6 and higher. Trees are now allowed to grow into claims from outside (for performance reasons), UNLESS you opt-into tree growth limiting in your config file (this is a new config option).
- Piston limiting - Version 8.1.7 and higher. Pistons won't move blocks outside of land claims. This is a huge performance win, but if you want the old rules back, there's a new config option to disable this rule.
All Recent Changes
- /ContainerTrust now allows for farming - planting new crops, using bonemeal to speed crop growth, and harvesting crops. It does NOT allow preparing new soil for planting with a hoe, or "farming" tall grass or trees.
- Removed trapped command cooldown from the config file.
- Removed unused "idlelimitdays" entry from the config file.
- Bug fix: Right clicking in a subdivision with a stick in hand does not produce an error.
- Mod access trust config option also protects the listed block types from left clicks as well as right clicks.
- Fixed "/trapped is always on cooldown" bug by removing the cooldown entirely.
- Performance update for the very frequent player interact event.
- IMPORTANT! Updated the "enabled worlds" claims configuration in config.yml. Going forward, in worlds where claims are disabled, no existing land claims (including administrative claims!) will be protected. To ensure all existing land claims are protected for upgraders, any worlds which were disabled for land claims before are now re-enabled for land claims. If you don't want this, update your config.yml, but remember that will leave any administrative land claims you've created in those worlds vulnerable to grief.
- Fixed visualization blocks being hidden underneath snow.
- Fixed standard land claims being visualized with red blocks instead of gold.
- Doubled the effective range of claim tools (golden spade, stick) to 100 blocks from 50.
- Visualizations will now automatically disappear after 60 seconds, if you're still nearby.
- You can now erase a visualization by pointing at something very far away, or even at the sky (in case you're in a very large land claim, where everything around you is inside the claim).
- Administrative land claims will now visualize orange instead of gold.
- Fixed a bug with offline player lookup which would sometimes give the wrong player when two players' names differed only in casing (PLAYER vs player).
- Faster database mode boot.
- Reworked the new player experience to help new players learn to use the plugin faster.
- Greatly reduced the frequency of the "you're building outside of land claims" warning.
- Config cleanup.
- Login cooldown is now set in seconds for more customization and better player experience. Default is now 60 seconds (from 2 minutes).
- Removed option to require land claims before building in survival mode (nobody was happy with this, now matter how I changed it).
- Removed donation chests option (not anti grief, belongs in an extension plugin).
- Removed the option to disable automatic claim cleanup in creative worlds (source of griefability).
- Whisper/sign eavesdrop is now on by default. Was off by default before with privacy in mind, but now servers log all whispers anyway.
- Removed the option to disable building outside claims warning (see above, should not be spammy anymore).
|File Name||Release Type||Game Version||Downloads||Date|
|8.0.1 for CB 1.7.10 DEV||Release||CB 1.7.9-R0.2||34||09/08/2014|
|8.0 for CB 1.7.10 DEV||Release||CB 1.7.9-R0.2||115||09/06/2014|
|6.9 BETA for CB #2446||Release||CB 1.4.2-R0.1||2,562||11/01/2012|
- Developer Tools and Admin Tools
- 271,693 Monthly Downloads
- World Editing and Management and Admin Tools
- 224,561 Monthly Downloads
- Colored Signs
- Informational and Admin Tools
- 203,021 Monthly Downloads
- Diversity 2
- Adventure, Parkour, Puzzle, Survival, and Game Map
- 196,361 Monthly Downloads
- Soartex Fanver
- Mod Support, Animated, Traditional, Modern, and 64x
- 189,337 Monthly Downloads