MagicSpells is a Minecraft Bukkit plugin that creates magic spells your players can use. Its main purpose is to give your players access to certain abilities that you might not want to give them unlimited access to. However, instead of just giving them access to boring commands, they instead get more interesting spells. Each spell can be configured in many ways:
- Reagent costs (the cost of using the spell, including items, mana, health, hunger, experience, and item durability)
- Cooldowns (the amount of time a player must wait between uses)
- Durations (how long certain effects last)
- Ranges (how far away spells can be used from their target)
- Many more options, depending on the spell
Spells can be cast by using the /cast command, swinging a configurable wand item, or both. It's also possible to have them triggered from other actions the player may take. It's all customizable.
Before a player can cast a spell, they must already know it. There are several ways a player can learn a spell:
- Taught with the teach spell
- Learned from a spellbook
- Learned from a tome
- Gained from a grant permission
- Purchased from a shop
- Being a server op (they know all spells) For example, a server op can teach Bob the blink spell by typing: ''/cast teach bob blink''.
Once a spell is learned, it can be cast either by using the ''/cast'' command or by using a wand item. Now that Bob knows the blink spell, he can either cast it by command, by typing ''/cast blink'', or he can cast it with a wand item. To select the spell, he holds the wand in his hand and right clicks. Right clicking will cycle through any spells assigned to the item he is holding. When he has the one he wants, he left clicks to cast.
If Bob does not have the required reagents for the spell, or if he has cast it recently and it is still on cooldown, he will not be able to cast the spell and will instead receive an error message.
If mana is enabled, a player can use the ''/mana'' command to see how much mana they currently have. Mana can also be configured so it is displayed on the experience bar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Help me! Why isn't it working?
If - after reading through the information available on this website - you can't figure out why something isn't working, please take the time to submit a proper help request. You can post your request in the MagicSpells forum. You should provide the following information:
- The CraftBukkit version you're using.
- The MagicSpells version you're using.
- Which permissions plugin (if any) you are using.
- The error in the console, if there is one.
- Your config file(s). Please don't put them directly into the post, use a service like http://pastebin.com and just post the link here.
But I need help urgently!
You can try joining the IRC channel #magicspells on EsperNet.
It says I need reagents whenever I cast a spell! Where do I get reagents?
One of the main ideas behind this plugin is to give players cool abilities, but with a cost. The reagents are the spell's cost. This can be configured in the config.yml file individually for every spell. The config option name is "cost". You can also give yourself the magicspells.noreagents permission node.
Why can't my players cast spells? Why does it say "You cannot cast that spell right now" when I try to cast any spell?
Please make sure your permissions are all set up correctly. Look at the permission page for more information. This is usually caused when you are missing magicspells.cast permissions.
Why can't I target players with spells?
There are two main reasons this occurs. Most targetable spells have a target-players option that usually defaults to false. You will need to change this to true to be able to target players with spells. Also make sure your players don't have the magicspells.notarget permission node.
Why don't temporary permissions work with WorldEdit/WorldGuard/CommandBook?
Open the wepif.yml file in your server's root folder. In the section under resolvers, remove all of the entries except DinnerPermsResolver. Then restart your server and see if it works now.
I have a great spell idea! Will you add it?
Please tell me about it by posting in the spell request forum! I can't guarantee that I'll make it, but if it's a feasible idea, I'll definitely consider it. I'm always looking for new spell ideas. Note that I may not respond directly to your idea, but I always read the suggestions.
I know some Java, can I write my own spells?
Yes, you can! Please look at this custom spell creation guide to learn how.
I've found a bug! What do I do?
Please submit a ticket! Please include your CraftBukkit build number, any error in the console, the situation that caused the error (if known), and if you think it's applicable, the list of plugins you use.
Coming in version 3.0: http://nisovin.com/magicspells/upcomingchanges
View the complete change log.
Questions and Comments
You are welcome to post comments here, but if you would like to ask a question or have any kind of discussion, I would prefer if you post on the MagicSpells forums. It is easier to keep track of posts and discussions there.
- Added a Variables system
- Added new general option: check-scoreboard-teams
- Added new spells:
- Capture Spell - Turn a target mob into an egg
- Clarity Spell - Reduces the reagent cost of spells
- Grip Spell - Teleport a target to your position
- Menu Spell - Opens a GUI menu using the inventory interface
- Paste Spell - Pastes a WorldEdit schematic
- Replace Spell - Replaces blocks with other blocks
- Resist Spell - Gives spell damage resistance, works with Pain Spell
- Switch Health Spell - Switch health percentage with your target
- Teleport Spell - Teleport to a target
- Wither Skull Spell - Fires a wither skull projectile
- Added the helper-spell option to all spells (used to indicate that a spell is just a “helper” spell used in other spells, and does not stand on its own)
- Added the spell-power-affects-range option for all spells
- Added the beneficial option to all spells (generally defaults to false, but defaults to true for certain spells like the Heal Spell)
- Added the target-damage-cause and target-damage-amount options to all spells
- Added check-individual-modifiers option to Multi Spell and Targeted Multi Spell
- Added stop-on-fail option to Targeted Multi Spell
- Added hit-air-after-duration, projectile-vert-offset, and projectile-horiz-offset options to Particle Projectile Spell
- Added the spell-damage-type option to Pain Spell, Drainlife Spell, and Freeze Spell
- Added the spells option to Empower Spell
- Added the y-offset option to Forcebomb Spell
- Added the fire option to Volley Spell
- The Summon Spell now works with meta spells (spells that call other spells)
- Added new conditions for Modifiers
- Added the cast and castinstead Modifiers
- Target Modifiers can now modify spell power
- Mana system changes:
- Added default-starting-mana option and starting-mana option for ranks
- Added updatemanarank special command
- Updated to save files by UUID
|File Name||Release Type||Game Version||Downloads||Date|
|v1.1 Beta||Beta||CB 1060||641||09/09/2011|
- Tinkers Construct
- Mobs, Processing, Technology, and Armor, Tools, and Weapons
- 383,233 Monthly Downloads
- Map and Information
- 338,827 Monthly Downloads
- CoFH Core
- Server Utility and API and Library
- 314,456 Monthly Downloads
- API and Library
- 308,280 Monthly Downloads
- Map and Information
- 303,510 Monthly Downloads