The BetterFonts mod adds OpenType font support for Minecraft. This mod will use the fonts installed on your system for drawing text instead of the builtin bitmap fonts that come with Minecraft. Languages such as Arabic and Hindi look much better with this mod since both require complex layout that the bitmap fonts simply can't provide. All in-game text will change to use the new fonts including GUIs, the F3 debug screen, chat, and even signs. This mod should have little or no impact on performance.
For more information and discussions, see the Forum.
Installation is the same as for any other client mod. Extract the contents of the downloaded .zip file into your minecraft.jar, and make sure to delete the META-INF folder inside minecraft.jar. This mod is compatible with OptiFine, but make sure to install it after OptiFine.
You can have a config file to change the default font and text size this mod uses. If your game is installed in a "
.minecraft" directory, then the config file will be "
.minecraft/config/BetterFonts.cfg". See the Forum or the Files section for an example config file.
The source code is available in a GitHub repository and is licensed under the LGPL.
- Updated to Minecraft 1.4.6 & 1.4.7
|File Name||Release Type||Game Version||Downloads||Date|
|BetterFonts Config File||Release||1.4.2||5,297||04/15/2012|
- Admin Tools, Anti-Griefing Tools, Informational, Teleportation, and World Editing and Management
- 193,002 Monthly Downloads
- Admin Tools, Chat Related, Teleportation, Economy, and General
- 153,994 Monthly Downloads
- Admin Tools, World Editing and Management, Fixes, General, and Anti-Griefing Tools
- 85,315 Monthly Downloads
- World Editing and Management and Admin Tools
- 75,172 Monthly Downloads
- Admin Tools, Developer Tools, Mechanics, and Economy
- 62,844 Monthly Downloads