At GDC 2010 in San Francisco we were able to sit down with the team from Funcom and take a look at Rise of the Godslayer, the first major expansion for Age of Conan. The points the developers really want to drive home are Combat, Choice and Concequence, which is most evident in the new faction system of the game. Players can choose to side with ten different factions, each offering unique rewards. The new mounts, tiger and wolf, are only available from two factions and others will offer unique weapons and armor. When choosing to side with a faction, players will be shunned by the opposing factions. The focus on consequences also means players will lose rewards if they decide to leave a faction.
Here are some key features that make this expansion remarkeable:
- There will be 5 new regions, each of the regions will have massive playable, open, areas. These areas will be far less linear than the original lands and will offer players much more room to explore.
- Players can start as a new playable race, the Khitai.
- New vendors allow players to change tattoos and hair color in game.
- 80 new armor sets for factions alone.
- Hundreds of new armor pieces and items.
- New abilities for players which includes changes to the skill tree that will change gameplay.
- Hard triggers in dungeons allow for players to choose the level difficulty in an instance by doing certain actions to anger a specific boss character, and make the instance harder.
- Two new mounts/pets: The wolf and tiger. (shown below)
Official Rise of the Godslayer Trailer:
Age of Conan Gateway to Khitai Trailer:
New Creatures From Expansion:
Two New Mounts Available In Expansion:
Either of these mounts is available as a pet, but you can only have one as a mount, and one as a pet. When you make the choice to have one or the other it will be irreversible.
To learn more about this expansion visit: http://www.ageofconan.com/