Fairly recently the Closed Beta Test Phase 3 of Aion began. Patch notes was released, but they were in Korean so us eager western players had nothing to read. This is now changing, though! NCsoft has translated the patch notes and posted all the changes made to Aion since Closed Beta Phase 2.
Curse Network Aion Closed Beta Phase 3 coverage:
- Mark's Journal, Entry 0.5
- Mark's Journal, Video, and Interview
- Closed Beta Test Journal #2
- Closed Beta Test Journal #1
- All Closed Beta 3 Videos so far
- Aion Closed Beta 3 has begun
In the Phase 3 release, the core content of Aion - the Abyss - is revealed, along with large scale Faction versus Faction combat and Fortress Battles. We are looking forward to your feedback on the new content as well as character progression during the middle and later stages of game play in the Abyss.
Phase 3 sees many changes along with the addition of new content. Read the full update notes below. The Abyss
In Phase 3 of the Aion CBT, we’re introducing unrestricted 24-hour Faction versus Faction combat, and unveiling the never-before-seen Abyss, a zone in which you can fly freely.
The Abyss offers experience and rewards that are totally different from existing zones.
General Abyss Information
- To access the Abyss, you need to complete a mission that is automatically given at level 25.
- Characters who have already attained level 25 should check their missions next time they log in.
- After completing the access mission for the Abyss, use the “Abyss Gates” located in:
- Elyos at Verteron and Eltnen
- Asmodian at Altgard and Morheim
- Fortress Sky: Verteron, Altgard, Morheim
- Eltnen: Fortress Underground (Under the elevator)
- The Abyss zone is composed of lower, middle and upper sections. Upon entering the Abyss, you will start from your Faction’s bind point in the lower level. These initial bind points are protected by an Aetheric Field that prevents the enemy Faction from passing through with a near-instant death attack.
- The Abyss zone includes monsters of levels 25 ~ 40, plus a total of 9 floating island groups and Fortresses.
- Around the Fortresses are 31 artifacts claimable by defeating their guarding Protectors.
- Each artifact has a particular effect that will help you in Fortress Battles and while adventuring in the Abyss.
Abyss Fortress Battles
- Fortress Battle testing will take place at the scheduled times listed below for each Fortress.
- Tuesday through Friday: 4 to 10 PM KST
- Saturday and Sunday: Some Fortresses will be open for battle Sunday evening until 8 PM KST. Other Fortresses still have fixed access times.
- Fortress Battles last two hours or until the Fortress’s Guardian General NPC is killed. Fortress ownership will be updated at this time.
- Ownership of captured Fortresses is given to the Legion of the player (or Party leader in the case of Parties) which causes greatest damage to the Guardian General NPC. If the player doesn’t belong to a Legion, ownership is given to their Faction.
- Each Fortress is protected by an Aetheric Field that will disappear once its Aetheric Field Generator is destroyed.
- Opposing Faction characters flying through an Aetheric Field will suffer massive damage or given abnormal debuffs. Characters with low HP may even die within seconds.
- Aetheric Field Generators are found in various locations within each Fortress.
- Each Fortress contains devices capable of repairing castle gates. A Castle Gate Restoration Stone is needed to use one of these devices.
- Castle Gate Restoration Stones can be purchased from the NPC Vendors at your Faction’s initial Abyss bind points.
Prices & Taxes
- Prices and a tax system have been applied.
- Prices: These are decided by the power of the Faction; the greater their power the higher the prices are. Prices are updated weekly.
- Tax: Taxes are determined by Fortress possession within the Abyss; holding more Fortresses lowers the tax rate. (Tax changes are updated upon changes to Fortress ownership)
- Prices and taxes determine the cost of items and facility usage.
- In order to apply price and tax rates, basic items sale price have been lowered.
- Taxes collected from sales are transferred every two hours to the Legion possessing the Fortress the taxes were collected in.
- Taxes are accumulated and deposited every two hours, and you can verify collected tax at the Legion warehouse.
- When a Fortress has been captured by another Faction or Legion, taxes accumulated during the last two hour period are transferred to the new owner.
- Abyss items may be purchased from NPC Vendors located in the Town and at bind points.
- Limited Abyss items are available in Phase 3 testing.
- Abyss Point Acquisition
- You can acquire Abyss Points by killing opposing faction players or NPCs (Guards). Points can also be obtained by defeating monsters in the Abyss.
- Your Abyss Points can be seen on the Abyss tab of your character information pane.
- Abyss points are lost when you are killed by enemies. Defeat by higher rank enemy will result in the loss of fewer points than the loss resulting from a death caused by a lower rank enemy.
- Killing a player with a higher rank than you will award more Abyss points. Less points will be deducted if you were killed by a player with a higher rank.
- Legion’s Merit Scores will increases as the Legion’s members collect points.
- The Abyss is home to the awesome [Dredgion], the largest known weapon in the Balaur arsenal.
- The [Dredgion]’s spawn rate and the number of Balaur NPCs it can deploy depends on the military situation of the Abyss.
- A new Siege Warfare Weapon and a Small Multiple Fire Cannon that may be used in Fortress Battles are now available.
- Siege Warfare Weapons can be manufactured with construction plans purchased from General Goods Merchants located in the Abyss.
- Small Multiple Fire Cannons can be purchased from Legion item merchants located on Legion levels three or higher.
- The appearance of Asmodian Wings has been redesigned.
- Damage inflicted during PvP combat is now lower than damage inflicted in PvE combat.
- Maximum Mana Points and MP recovery rates for each class have been adjusted.
- There is no longer an experience point penalty from killing monsters unless there is a significant difference between player and monster level.
- The “Glide” skill has been added.
- The Glide skill is activated when flying, causing your wings to spread and glide on the air currents, bringing you slowly back down to earth. Press the whilst in the air to spread your wings and enter Glide mode.
- Glide mode is only available after becoming a winged Daeva, and can be used in every region in Aion. (Is exempt from the flight availability region list)
- New player titles are available. Explore the Abyss and the newly-added quests to find them all!
- A Magic Boosting Power statistic that increases the power of magic skills has been added.
- Current Magic Boost level can be viewed on your Character Information pane.
- The statistic may be increased further with weapon bonuses and manastones.
- New emotes have been added: Smile, Salutation, Fear, Sorry, Rush, Thinking, Ridicule, Hate
A number of changes have been made to Class and Profession skills. Read below for changes to the ability and acquisition of these skills.
- Compared to CBT Phase 2, many skills specific to each Class have been added and changed.
- Check the acquirable Stigma skill in the [Skill List] of you Skill pane.
- Many changes have been made to class skills.
- The duration of some buff/debuff skills have been changed, for example, some skills with 30 second durations now have 50 second durations.
- In the case of some physical skills, Mana Points (MP) are no longer exhausted.
- The power and effect of Divine Power (DP) skills for each Class has been changed:
- [Health Enhancement] skill has been adjusted to be in line with the Templar’s [Armor of Empyrean Lord] skill.
- A [Stamina Recovery] skill granting the continuous recovery of health has been added.
- A chain skill level related to the [Wing Blade] skill enabling long range attacks has been added.
- A skill that temporarily improves movement speed has been added.
- A skill causing high damage to Fortress gates during Fortress Battles has been added.
- The recharge time and effect of [Armor of Empyrean Lord] skill has been adjusted.
- [Flash Slash] may now be used with single-hand weapons.
- Recharge time and group buffs of the [Mental Tremor], [Weapon Destruction], [Armor Destruction], and [Leg Slash] skills have been adjusted.
- The [Excitement] and [Armor of Empyrean Lord] skills may be at the same time.
- The recharge time and group buff of Shield Defense has been adjusted.
- [Provoke] no longer causes damage.
- [Steel Curtain], an improved version of the [Curtain of Self-defense] skill, has been added.
- A long range agro skill has been added.
- A skill that temporarily improves movement speed has been added.
- A skill causing high damage to Fortress gates during Fortress Battles has been added.
- When using an item to transform into Kalnif or Zaif only normal attacks are available. Skills may not be used.
- To cancel the transformation, the buff must be removed.
- The damage output of [Devotion] has been changed from an absolute value to a percentage.
- A skill that increases evasion rate/ accuracy has been added.
- A buff to increase evasion rate, accuracy, and bow attacks has been added.
- A skill that can poison the target has been added.
- A stun effect has been added to [Backward Slashing].
- A thrown Trap skill that disrupts NPC invisibility within a limited range has been added.
- A skill that temporarily reduces a targets’ defense and HP recovery has been added.
- [Poison Application] has been changed to [Poison of Scolopen]
- The trigger condition for [Whirlwind Slash] has been changed from weapon defense to evasion.
- [Concentration Evasion] can be developed further and can now resist magical attacks.
- [Shadow Cloak] is now available during combat but has an associated failure rate.
- Beast series skills have been changed from level 5 to level 3 chain skills and now use MP instead of DP.
- [Charge Slashing] no longer stuns.
- A special skill that temporarily increases evasion rate, accuracy, Two-handed Weapon use and Critical Hit Chance has been added.
- A skill that temporarily increases movement speed has been added. This skill exhausts MPs while active.
- Newly developed invisibility skills have been added.
- Other than skills that cause direct damage through patterns, a pattern explosion skill that can immobilize foes in mid-air and absorb HP has been added.
- A skill that can engrave ancient signets on targets at long range has been added.
- A skill that increases attack speed has been added.
- A skill to see invisible targets has been added.
- A skill allowing the user to teleport to their target has been added.
- The values for Blessing of Life and Blessing of Protection have been increased and changed from absolute values to percentages.
- A special effect that temporarily boosts healing has been added.
- A skill that reduces the MP cost of the next skill used has been added.
- A spell to teleport the corpses of fallen allies to the caster and revive them has been added.
- A new buff that allows immediate revival when one dies has been added.
- Various Heal skills have been added.
- For easier solo play, MP costs for attack skills have been reduced.
- [Shooting Star Blow], [Condemnation] and [Retribution of Earth] now have individual recharge timers.
- [Resonance Haze] has been changed from a chain skill to a requirement activation skill that can be used when the target falls down.
- Chain skill levels have been simplified.
- Many Mantra skills granting a temporary increase to multiple statistics, such as attack type/ defense type, have been added.
- Only two mantras can be maintained at a time. With more than two chanters in a party, up to four can be maintained (two per chanter).
- A buff that grants MP recovery during normal attacks has been added.
- A debuff preventing the target from using physical skills has been added.
- A magical effect that reduces the target’s buffs has been added to [Burst].
- The acquisition level of [Sleep] has been changed to level 10.
- The acquisition level of [Twisting of Time and Space] skill has been changed to level 13.
- In addition to [Flame Arrow], more flame magic attack skills have been added.
- A skill temporarily reducing the fire resistance of the target has been added.
- A skill that increases the damage of the next skill has been added.
- A skill that reduces the cast time of the next spell to 0 has been added.
- An agro reduction skill has been added.
- A debuff resulting in damage to the target whenever it uses magic has been added.
- A buff that temporarily increases your MP recovery and Defense has been added.
- A buff that temporarily increases one’s magical attack has been added.
- A buff that temporarily reduces a combat target’s movement speed has been added.
- A skill that temporarily reduces MP costs has been added.
- Probability-based skills used by Spirits have been changed to trigger from [Order:Skill].
- The damage that [Magic Combustion] causes compared to the target’s number of buffs has been lowered slightly.
- A skill that reduces the attack speed of the target has been added.
- In addition to [Energy of Wind], Fire, Water and Energy of Earth skills have been added.
- A skill that increases the HP of summoned Spirits in exchange for the HP of the caster has been added.
- A skill that can absorb some of the target’s HP has been added.
- A skill preventing the target from using physical or magical skills has been added.
- A skill enabling the user to recover MP by releasing a summoned spirit has been added.
Loot table additions and changes have been made to increase item variety and expansion.
- General Changes:
- Basic weapon and armor statistics have been changed.
- The accuracy values and base Parry chance of some weapons have been changed.
- Defense values for shield items have been changed.
- Evasion levels for armor items have been changed.
- MP boosting statistics have been added to some maces, staffs, spell books and orbs.
- Equipment items have improved drop rates.
- The cost of skill books and equipment purchases has decreased.
- Accessory statistics have been raised.
- Additional options for all current equipment items have been adjusted.
- The drop rate of manufacturing materials from monsters has been increased.
- New types of manastone have been added; manastone drop rates and statistics have been adjusted.
- Manastones from CBT Phase 2 are now marked . Their effects and usage are unchanged, but they will no longer drop.
- Weapons and armor that drop from monsters now have a small chance to have increased manastone slots. Even two otherwise identical pieces of equipment can now have different manastone slots.
- Manastone item icons have changed.
- Manastone removal fees have been reduced.
- Items that have been successfully enchanted now have (+level) in front of their name for easy identification, e.g. +1 Bloody Sword, +3 Centurion’s Shield, etc.
- Boosted statistics on weapons and armor have had their enchant values adjusted, as follows:
- A Recall scroll that instantly teleports the user to city or fortress has been added.
- A ‘Kisk Summon Stone’ that allows you to set a temporary bind point has been added.
- Small Kisk Summon Stones can be bought from the Miscellaneous Goods merchants at the starting bind points in the Abyss and the Fortress. Medium Kisk Summon Stones can be purchased at the starting bind points in the Abyss.
- After using a Kisk Summon Stone to register a bind point, it can also use it as a resurrection point upon death.
- You cannot move to Kisk bind point using Bind Point Recall skill.
- [Poison of Scorpion] has been changed to [Scolopen Poison].
- [Snake Venom] can no longer be bought.
- Stigma shard items can be obtained from enemy Faction Guards and monsters in the Abyss.
Crafting and Gathering
There have been many changes to the accessibility, difficulty, and time needed to gather materials and Craft items. Gather and Craft skill experience caps have increased to 299.
- The EXP cost needed to increase Gather and Craft skills has been reduced:
- Level 1 (Beginner Class) 1~99 3,000 3,000
- Level 2 (Intermediate Class) 100~199 30,000 15,000
- Level 3 (High Class) 200~299 200,000 100,000
- A general experience adjustment to material gathering has been made.
- The Gather/Craft rate has been increased.
- The time required to improve Gather/Craft skill proficiencies have decreased.
- Material costs and quantity have been lowered.
- Crafting request costs have been lowered.
- An Alchemy design for the crafting of manastones has been added. Higher level manastones may be crafted by re-processing unused manastones.
- Re-processed manastones create higher rank manastones only at a certain probability rate.
- The effect of hand-crafted food and beverage and items has been changed and their beneficial duration increased.
- Artifact Activation Stones may be created with the Alchemy skill.
- Studio merchants no longer sell Morphing Books. Books are available from NPC Vendors located near Abyss Fortresses.
- The amount of DP exhausted for morph substances has been increased.
- Some required materials and resulting quantities for morph substances have been changed.
New quests have been added to the Abyss, as well as the Eltnen and Morheim regions.
- Changes to Existing Quests:
- After the quest update pop-up dialogue has updated, it now twinkles as it fades.
- Parties may now participate in Guard quests.
- Some problematic quests in CBT Phase 2 that were limited so they could not be repeated have been resolved and the limitations lifted.
- All gather quest may now be completed once. Rewards have been adjusted to reflect this change.
- A number of item gathering quests have had their rewards changed to be more appropriate to the difficulty of the quest.
- Some ‘defeat # monsters’ quests have had their rewards changed to be more appropriate to the difficulty of the quest.
- Talking to NPCs after transforming during the Asmodian ‘Black Claw Garrison Scout’ quest will no longer result in an attack from the NPCs.
- Additions to the Abyss Quests:
- The quest to gain access to the Abyss will be given upon reaching level 25.
- Some Abyss missions have not been completed and are denoted with a ‘?’ icon.
- Requirements for these missions will be released at a later date.
- The Abyss region offers Coin Quests and other quests related to the Fortress Battles.
- Abyss Points, Siege Warfare Weapons, weapons, manastones are now included in quest rewards.
- A neutral quest that both Elyos and Asmodians can complete in the Abyss region has been added.
NPCs and Monsters
With the new region come new monsters, but we will leave discovery to you! Below is a guide to some NPC and monster-related changes.
- Clothes, ornaments and NPC animations suitable to the Class and circumstances of the NPC have been added.
- Additional miscellaneous goods vendor NPCs are available in some regions of Elyos (Verteron, Eltnen) and Asmodian (Altgard, Morheim).
- Monster spawn times in Eltnen and Morheim have decreased.
- Some monsters in Abyss may use skill that decrease flying time of characters in the air.
UI and System Preferences
CBT Phase 3 brings improvements to the UI and system preferences:
- The Faction selection pane has been changed to make each Faction more easily recognizable.
- Character ViewerIn the log in pane, between the Create New Account button and the Quit button, a System Preferences menu has been added. Before logging in, you can change your graphics and sound options.
- When creating new characters, changing the height of the character will now scale the size of its head correctly. Additional customization is still available.
- Since some of the Facial Details menu proved hard to find, it has been changed from a button on the lower right side to a tab on the upper part of the screen.
- A function that allows a preview of basic outfits during character creation has been added (image at right).
- Zone Chat Channels
- Channels that could only be used in Poeta and Ishalgen are now available in the Verteron and Altgard regions.
- When a party member is in a different channel from the party leader, they can now move to the same channel as the leader by right-clicking the party member status pane.
- System Preferences
- A UI Extend/Reduce menu has been added. System Preference -> Game Preferences -> UI Style Change
- An option to show/hide Legion names has been added.
- The form of Title displays has been changed and can be further adjusted from the options menu. Basic Titles of other Faction members cannot be seen.
- Same Faction: Basic Title Priority / Abyss Rank / Hide
- Different Faction: Abyss Rank / Hide
- An option to show/hide the names of opposing Faction characters has been added.
- An option to display your target’s casting timer has been added. Checking this option will allow you to see their currently casting spell/skill name and how much time is left on it.
- A new party/force looting method has been added: The Dice-roll, Quality Item Distribution Rule
- When a party or force member loots an item, the item is automatically linked in the chat pane.
- The Show Emotion button in the upper left part of the chat pane has been changed to the Chat Preferences Menu button.
- An auto-loot function has been added in the Skill Window > Functions tab. The previous “Shift + Double Click” function is now automatic.
- You can link item construction plans to a Creation Window in the Chat pane. When linked, required materials are also displayed.
- Skill names appear in the casting bar when triggered.
- The Location Display function on the map has been improved and now displays multiple regions at the same time. The location displayed in the map can be deleted by right clicking and using the drop-down menu.
- A [Sell All Miscellaneous Items] menu has been added enabling the selection and addition of all miscellaneous (gray-hued) items to the Sell list when trading with NPCs.
- Mouse cursors are now context sensitive! The cursor will change to show camera rotation, combat, greetings etc.
- The floor is no longer clickable when opening a private store.