Welcome to the new Curse.com! While a lot of things on the website
will still be familiar to you, you'll quickly notice a number of
changes that make your time spent on Curse.com easier and more
productive than in the past. You shouldn't ever have to feel like
another website gives you better or
faster access to content on Curse.com, so we set out to fix that with this website update.
So what exactly is different with this version of Curse.com? Here's a quick list:
- Extremely fast and scalable - One of the biggest issues many who visited Curse.com in the past expressed to us was the speed and performance of the website, especially on World of Warcraft patch days. We've improved upon the performance of Curse.com by deploying a new platform technology for the website: Community Server. This is a community-based platform built specifically for websites like Curse.com, and is very scalable to meet increased demands on those patch days when getting your Addons is most important.
- Curse Network Services - Wondering where the Curse Client is? Want quick access to Addons or databases for World of Warcraft or Warhammer Online? No problem, this new widget on http://www.curse.com will take you there quickly.
- Streamlined Addons Pages - We've removed a lot of the
clutter and confusion on the Addons section. The description area of
an Addon is now scrollable as well, taking up less room than previously
-- allowing you to get to the meat of the project quicker: the files to
download! We currently support Addons for World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, and Age of Conan.
- New Look Forums - Thanks to Community Server, we've been able to restore our forums to a feel you're used to across the internet. We've still retained all of the forums from the previous version of the site, but you'll be able to browse them in a layout you're comfortable with.
- New Look Image Gallery - The image gallery has undergone extensive changes -- probably the most of any of our sections on the new Curse.com -- and we invite you to check it out. It's definitely a vast improvement over the previous version.
- Improved MyCurse Profiles - We've improved upon the MyCurse section of the website, providing an easier to browse, more informative profile system. We've also added a few cool new features, such as the ability to create a custom banner and add an announcement to your profile. Head to MyCurse to get started.
- Improved Blog Section - We've made a few changes to the blog section, and more will be coming with future updates to Curse.com. Please head over and take a look, and let us know what you think of the modified layout, and the new editor.
- WYSIWYG Editor - Even those of us that work on this website daily have found pains in posting content on the website in the past. To that end, a crucial feature of the new website was a WYSIWYG editor, like many forum communities employ. You'll find it very familiar to an advanced editor you'd see on forums, and we feel it's extremely easy and fun to use.
- Share on Digg, Facebook, and Del.icio.us! - You'll notice on a number of sections of the website, such as articles and blogs, that you can now share this content on some of the popular social networking and news sharing websites.
We're very excited to finally be able to bring this new Curse.com to you. We've been hard at work on many aspects of it for several months now, and the entire team here is proud of the improvements we've made on the previous version of the website. Hopefully you'll give it a try and notice them too.
We've made many of these changes to ensure the best possible experience for the community on heavy traffic days such as World of Warcraft patch days, so this update is specifically with you in mind. If you have any feedback for us on the new website, please pay a visit to our Feedback forums and let us know what's on your mind!