The AIAS announces the commencement of the 12th annual D.I.C.E. Summit today, kicking off with the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences Foundation Golf Tournament, Go-Karting Tournament at Pole Position, Red Rock Canyon Run/Hike, and the Poker Tournament -- all happening today.
“The D.I.C.E. Summit annually honors interactive entertainment culture and achievement in our rapidly changing global theater, while welcoming the leaders in our industry to openly share, collaborate and grow the art and business of our industry,” said Martin Rae, president, Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences. “The summit themes pay homage to the pillars for which this conference was founded - Design, Innovate, Communicate and Entertain - and this year’s line-up of industry luminaries will tackle the topics shaping the future of interactive entertainment, including mobile development, transmedia storytelling, emerging technologies, and multiplatform development.”
Over the next few days, hardworking and innovative folks of the video game industry will experience 20 speaking and panel sessions covering recent industry trends, development and business challenges, and more! Highlights can be viewed at http://youtube.com/entv, and full sessions at http://youtube.com/variety. This year's program includes:
- Hall of Fame Inductee: Living video game legend, Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve Corporation, will be the 17thinductee into the AIAS Hall of Fame. Recipients demonstrate the highest level of creativity and innovation, resulting in significant product influence on a scale that expands the scope of the industry. The AIAS Hall of Fame honor is annually bestowed on game creators who have been instrumental in the development of highly influential games and moving a particular genre forward, and Gabe’s leadership in founding and managing Valve, creator of SourceTM game engine, Steam, and award-winning game franchises like Half-Life®, Counter StrikeTM, Left 4 DeadTM, PortalTM, and Team FortressTM have done much to push the interactive entertainment industry forward.
- Pioneer Award Recipient: Infocom co-founders Dave Lebling and Marc Blank will be honored with the 2013 AIAS Pioneer Award, which is reserved for individuals whose career-spanning work has helped shape and define the interactive entertainment industry with the creation of a technological approach or the birth of a new genre. As innovators, storytellers, game designers and programmers, Lebling and Blank have inspired a generation of gamers and game designers over a broad spectrum of games and genres with their contributions to interactive fiction and text-based adventure games such as the Zork and Enchanter series.
- Martin Rae, president, Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, will be giving the opening remarks right before the D.I.C.E. Summit opening keynote, “Storytelling Across Platforms: Who Benefits Most, the Audience or the Player” featuring veteran writer, director and producer J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Person of Interest, Revolution) and Valve President and Co-Founder Gabe Newell (Steam,Half-Life, Portal, Counter-Strike, and more) on Wednesday, Feb. 6, from 9:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- The 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards at The Joint, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas. Showcasing the breadth and depth of an incredible year of gaming, 63 games representing console to web-based to mobile, are nominated for D.I.C.E. Awards, led byJourney with 11 nominations, including Game of the Year. The complete list of Awards categories, finalists, and game maker credits is available at: http://www.interactive.org/images/awards/16th-Annual-D.I.C.E.-Finalists-For-Web.pdf.
- The Academy Foundation Golf Tournament, sponsored by Behavior, will be held at noon on Tuesday, Feb. 5 at TPC Las Vegas Golf Club.
- The D.I.C.E. Go-Karting Tournament, powered by Nexon America, will take place at the Pole Position Raceway in Las Vegas on the afternoon of Tuesday, Feb. 5.
- The D.I.C.E. Red Rock Canyon Run/Hike will provide relief from the hustle and bustle of the Las Vegas Strip mid-afternoon on Tuesday, Feb. 5.
- The D.I.C.E. Summit poker tournament sponsored by Intel will be held in the heart of the vibrant Hard Rock Hotel casino floor the evening of Tuesday, Feb. 5.
- The D.I.C.E. Summit Welcome Party, sponsored by Turtle Beach, will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 6 at Vinyl Nightclub at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas.
- The 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards After Party, hosted by Wargaming, will take place at Vanity, the upscale nightclub at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas.
Watch the 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards Show live on Feburary 7th at 7 PM PST on MachinimaLIVE. These awards recognize the year's best video and computer games, online entertainment, along with the outstanding individuals and development teams that have propelled the advancement of the entertainment software industry.
More information on the event can be found at the official site -- stay tuned to Curse for more event coverage.