PlanetSide 2, free-to-play shooter/MMO hybrid, is being worked on by FPS professionals, including some of the experts behind CoD. Here's what's cooking over at their E3 booth this week!
- Maps will span up to 64 square KM and boast a high focus on territory/node control.
- These control points are fluidly lost and obtained, and benefit a faction by generating resources, allowing vehicle spawns, and essentially producing in-game currency to be spent by a faction on gear, upgrades, etc.
- Huge emphasis on the importance of territory control.
- Unlike the previous title in the series, 2 will not feel like a dungeon crawl!
- Six available classes, can be swapped between on the fly and can be customized with equipment, skins, decals.
- Classes can all be leveled up, and each faction has access to all three.
- There's an app tied to the game which gives really cool info like an in-game library, login stats and achievements, map territory control images, and the ability to chat with players who are currently in-game, remotely.
Here's what else we know about the game, if you haven't been following until recently:
- MASSIVE WARFARE: Battles will take place not between dozens of troops, but hundreds; with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of troops. Whether in open fields, tightly-packed urban centers or enormous structures, winning will require strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger in the massive battles.
- Three Empires: Players will have their choice to join three different empires:
- Terran Republic – With a militaristic government, the Terran Republic uses its Imperial authoritarian might to impel humanity to peaceful coexistence through any means necessary.
- New Conglomerate – A loosely connected group of rebel factions and idealistic freedom fighters, the New Conglomerate fights against the hegemony of the Terran.
- Vanu Sovereignty – A technocratic faction that believes humanity can only evolve by rediscovering and tapping the lost technology of the Vanu.
- BATTLE FOR TERRITORIES & RESOURCES: The core gameplay of PlanetSide 2 is about holding key territories and controlling valuable resources. Each battleground holds valuable resources and key positions, and the empire that can conquer (and manage to hold) these territories will be rewarded with fuel bonuses, ammo bonuses, tech bonuses, and more.
- Persistence: In PlanetSide 2 battles will last longer than a match timer. Battles will last for days or weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it’s yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots will have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle.
- MISSION SYSTEM: Both SOE and players will be able to drive content, easing new players into the game and allowing veterans to feed content to players.
- SKILL TREES: Players will be able to build their soldier to match their play-style, or to match the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Each combat role, vehicle and weapon will have extensive skill trees. These cert trees will allow players to grow characters laterally, unlocking weapons, attachments, equipment, specialized skills, and more.
- OUTFITS: Outfits (guilds) will also be able to customize themselves – allowing outfits to have their own identity, reputation and role in the ongoing war.
- WEAPONS: Players will be able to access more than 20 basic weapons, which can be customized to players’ preference or purpose.
- VEHICLES: More than 15 vehicles with two unique vehicles per empire. Players will be able to customize each vehicle, unlocking new skills and features
- Vivox Integration: Players will be able to communicate with their squads both through keyboard and voice chat.
PlanetSide 2 is currently in closed beta, but will soon be heading into open beta! Be sure to check out the E3 screenshots below, and head to FPS General for more PlanetSide 2 coverage and community discussion.