CCP has taken to the EVE Online blog to discuss the changes coming to the game's War Declaration system with the upcoming Inferno expansion.
One of the biggest changes coming to Eve Online in the upcoming expansion are the aforementioned tweaks to the way declaring war works. As CCP puts it, they had three focus points when designing Inferno, which were to "tighten the war system, so it becomes clear how wars start, proceed and end; make war progression (i.e. how everyone’s faring) more visible, both for strategic and status reasons and to make fighting wars a viable career path for dedicated mercenary corps."
With that in mind, some of the changes CCP discusses that they've made include:
- Change the war dec cost formula so that the cost is no longer increased by the number of wars target corp is in. Instead, the cost is modified by the number of players in target corp.
- Have wars move with you when you enter/leave alliances. If you are engaged in a war that you declared, you cannot join an alliance until that war is finished.
- CEO/Director can now war dec, no more voting.
- Wars can no longer be automatically retracted. The surrender option is streamlined (no more meeting in same station) and can involve formal concession of ISK. It also means these entities cannot war dec each other for a time period.
- Wars have a weekly cycle, at which time the aggressor can choose to prolong (at ISK cost) for another week or end the war. As long as the aggressor is willing to pay for another week, the war can go on for a long time.
- Wars are tracked, with all losses shown in a War Report, viewable by all participants. This lists clearly all losses on both sides in the war. To get this to work properly, we’ve (with help from team Game of Drones) added everything to the market and fixed a few items that didn’t have a price (like Titans), with the price being based on material ingredients. Here is a mockup of the war report. This is a work in progress.