Fans of the original EverQuest are undoubtedly spending a lot more time in the game today, testing out the brand new Veil of Alaris expansion.
The team got things started with a little snippet of lore, that reads:
"It's beautiful, you know," said Chief Engineer Dougal. The Veilbreaker, finally complete, tugged gently at its moorings. "Thank you for coming to give us Brell's word. Please tell him that all of Ak'Anon is grateful for his continued interest in our lives. We could not have completed this without his aid and the help of Norrath's heroes."
Emissary Olim's face turned somber as he looked down at the gnome. "Child, do not believe that we have granted you a favor. Crossing the veil will likely cause you great suffering. You go to face an enemy that the gods fear, one that may have destroyed a god already. We have done you no favor by coming here to Steamfont."
"You don't understand us, do you," the engineer said, smiling up at the winged Telmira. "Without challenge, without excitement and discovery, our lives have little meaning. The people that have come from all over Norrath to help with the project know that danger awaits them. After all," Dougal laughed, "when has interaction with our gods not meant danger?
Fear not, we will break the veil and discover the truth, and we will do so with joy. Thank you and thank Brell for us."
Veil of Alaris' updates include:
- The level cap is now 95, with hundreds of new spells and alternate advancement abilities available.
- Items can now be activated inside of containers (backpacks, pouches, crates, etc.) as long as the item is not flagged "must equip."
- Customizable guild plots and guild halls are now available. To purchase one, go to the neighborhood door in the guild lobby. Your guild must have at least ten members to purchase a plot (unless you own a guild neighborhood).
- Custom guild halls can be furnished with equivalent items from the old guild hall as well as some new additions. Anyone who owns Veil of Alaris can place items (if your guild permissions allow it).
- Guilds can now place special guild trophies that will give tribute-style benefits to members who have opted in.
- Several creature types from the continent of Alaris can be stuffed and crafted into mounted heads for placement in your home.
- 12 new zones contain thousands of new creatures to encounter and hundreds of new items to obtain.