Sony Online Entertainment has announced that EverQuest is finally free-to-play, in celebration of their milestone 13th birthday! The game's free-to-play system is now available to all PC players worldwide, including options for Free, Silver ($5.00 USD) and Gold ($14.99 USD/month) memberships.
“Through 18 successful expansions and countless other game updates, EverQuest has forged its place in history amongst the MMO and online game elite,” said Dave Georgeson, director of development of the EverQuest franchise. “With one of the most loyal player communities in the industry, we believe that after 13 years we need to provide them with a wide variety of ways to play the game on their terms. Players can now choose to play in a way that suits them best and continue to expand their game experience…until the next milestone birthday!”
In celebration of the move to free-to-play and EverQuest's 13th birthday, beginning today a variety of amazing in-game activities and game updates will be available, including:
- Lucky 13 – Players can now embark on anniversary missions and quests, surrounded by anniversary décor in the “Plane of Knowledge,” that follows a special 13thanniversary theme:
- Players can experience 13 new quests
- A spectacular mission as some of the iconic villains of EverQuest
- A Raid to stop a familiar foe from gaining ultimate power.
- And over 40 events from past anniversaries
- Hero’s Journey – A book to guide players through a series of achievements from level one to level 85. Utilizing and improving upon content that is already in the game, characters may begin this journey at any level.
- Improved Navigation – An added zone guide, this window is a quick way to look up zones in the game by level, zone connections, and other data about the zone.
- Zoning Path Finder – The zone path finder generates a path between any chosen zone and any other zone in the world. Additionally, zone connections have been added to the Find window.
- Improved Find Tracking – Find tracking is now visible in the map window. Players will be able to see your ‘find wisp’ in the map window and it will auto center on the path and zoom in and out so you can see the whole path.
- Maps – Improvements to the maps have been made to elevate players’ adventures. Maps now support custom map directories, have added map label searching, the ability to right click on any point on the map to attempt to bring up a visible path to it.
A weathered veteran of the online gaming world, EverQuest was first released in 1999. This fantasy-themed MMORPG has had 18 expansions to date. Some fun facts about what this epic, long-running game has achieved to date:
- There are nearly as many NPCs in EverQuest as there are in the American Postal Union: The total population of Norrathian NPCs is 344,935
- EverQuest’s Wealthiest Player is Nearly 16 Times Richer than Bill Gates! If the game’s Platinum pieces weigh an ounce, then in today’s market, EverQuest’s wealthiest player’s worth in the real world would be equivalent to $893 billion – that’s nearly 16 times richer than Microsoft’s Bill Gates’ estimated worth!
- More than twice the age of the oldest person to have lived: A day in EQ is 72 minutes; that said, a character that was created when the game launched on March 16, 1999, is 260 years old this year on March 16
- It’s always OktoberFest in EQ: Since launch, EverQuest has brewed more than 330 brew varieties in Norrath, compared to 1,927 breweries in the U.S.
- 450 times the spells used in the Harry Potter series: 32,882 spells created in EverQuest
- Almost one Dragon per square mile in Norrath: There have been 1,126 Dragons bred in EverQuest
- It is the 179th largest country in the world: There are 1,050 square miles of land in Norrath
- Faster than a Cheetah! The fastest mount in Norrath clocks in at 88.8 mph!