Ask the Developers - Character Creation
The topic addressed this time around is character creation.
Q. Will I be able to do the main scenario quests for the city-states other than the one I choose as my starting destination when creating a character?
A. In fitting with the role of the adventurer as a champion of the nation in which his or her journey begins, players can partake only in the main scenario storyline of the starting destination chosen during character creation. We invite you to peruse the various plot synopses and NPC introductions to decide which epic adventure sounds most enticing to you!
Q. Are the starting arms and tools for every class sold in all of the city-states?
No matter which starting destination is chosen during the character creation process, players may rest assured that the beginning gear for each class will be available for purchase from guild and merchant NPCs. This means that players will be able to easily take up any class they wish in their starting nation. The locations where class-specific arms and tools are sold in each city are listed below.
Q. What effect does my character’s namdeday have in the game world?
Currently, a character’s nameday has no bearing in-game, but the planning of future content such as nameday present campaigns and temporary nameday buffs is ongoing. Of course, we will be striving to ensure that whatever special benefits are granted are as fair as possible, with all namedays being treated equally. Feel free to match your character’s nameday to your own birthday, to select some lucky numbers, or, should neither of those options tickle your fancy, go random!
Q. I get that there are twelve guardians, but what type of influence will the one I select exert over my character?
At present, the guardian selected during character creation will have no significant impact within the game world. In the future, when new features impacted by or related to a character’s guardians are implemented, we will also be presenting players with the option to choose a new guardian. You may offer your piety to the deity that most closely reflects your character’s personality, or perhaps the guardian worshipped by the nation in which your adventure begins. Another option is to select the guardian under whose moon your character’s nameday falls. Or you could be as capricious as the gods themselves, and simply pick one on a whim!
FINAL FANTASY XIV Version Update (Oct. 8)
- Made an adjustment to how experience points are distributed amongst party members. Instead of dividing a total number of experience points by the number of players who participated in the battle, it now distributes the total amount of experience points equally amongst all players in the party.
- The chat log will no longer close while entering text during the following processes:
- When viewing a bazaar
- When setting up a bazaar
- During gathering
- During synthesis
- An issue wherein a player would be unable to progress with the quest "Futures Perfect," if they join a party during the cutscene has been addressed.
- An issue wherein a player would be unable to start a levequest if they initiate a teleport at the same time has been addressed.
- Implemented a countermeasure for an issue which prevented players from gaining skill points during battle.
- An issue wherein the FINAL FANTASY XIV client would shut down when a player adds or removes a new party member has been addressed.
- An issue wherein players would take damage when executing a macro command for an area of effect action that is centered on themselves has been addressed.
- An issue wherein messages in tell, party, or linkshell chat would not go through properly has been addressed.
- Implemented a countermeasure for an issue where an item would not display properly under a certain condition.
- A rare issue wherein an item data would get corrupted during a server outage has been addressed.
- * We have confirmed that if a player attempts to put this corrupted item into their bazaar, it would cause the server to go down. We are currently in the process of addressing this issue, but until then, we have placed a temporarily restriction on these corrupted items which were being sold by certain players. We will be providing an update on this situation once we have a better idea on when the the actual fix will take place. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
- An issue wherein the login queue would not work as intended during server congestion has been addressed.
- Implemented a countermeasure to prevent server outages under a certain condition.
- Other miscellaneous issues have been addressed.
- * The previously announced improvements to the market system are currently in the final preparation stages and will be ready by the version update next week. Please keep an eye out for future announcements regarding this matter.