Today, Andrew McLeod, Game Developer for Guild Wars 2 has posted on the official ArenaNet blog a lot of new information about crafting and that it will be available to play in the demo for PAX East!
There are currently eight different crafting disciplines and most of them are able to augment their own gear (e.g., "a weaponsmith can craft a handle which can be attached to melee weapons to give them a chance to poison enemies"). Players will be able to have up to two crafting disciplines and can gather all types of materials.Crafting Disciplines
- Weaponsmith — Weaponsmiths craft melee weapons, such as swords, axes and hammers.
- Huntsman — Huntsmen craft ranged weapons like bows and pistol, as well as torches and warhorns.
- Artificer — Artificers craft magical weapons such as staves and scepters
- Armorsmith — Armorsmiths craft heavy armor pieces.
- Leatherworker — Leatherworkers craft medium armor pieces.
- Tailor — Tailors craft light armor pieces.
- Jewelcrafter — Jewelcrafters craft jewelry, such as rings and necklaces.
- Cook — Cooks can prepare food which characters can eat for temporary combat buffs.
- Salvaging kits — Available from merchants, salvaging kits allow you to salvage crafting materials out of old or unwanted items.
- Looting — You have a chance of finding appropriate crafting materials like hides or trophies when you loot slain enemies.
- Harvesting — Ore veins, plants, and trees can be found around the world and harvested for materials.
Make sure you read the entire blog post for the rest of the information and visit Guild Wars 2 Guru for the discussion!