ArenaNet's Linsey Murdock has made a post on the official blog telling us all about the new high-end gear that will be obtainable in the upcoming November update.
Ever since the original announcement, players have been voicing concerns about the team adding gear progression and its long-term effects on the game, and it looks like they've been watching Reddit as well as discussions in-game to determine the best path. A notable quote from the post:
As we watch Guild Wars 2 mature in its Live environment, we have found that our most dedicated players were achieving their set of Exotic gear and hitting “the Legendary wall.” We designed the process of getting Legendary gear to be a long term goal, but players were ready to start on that path much sooner than we expected and were becoming frustrated with a lack of personal progression. Our desire is to create a game that is more inclusive for hardcore and casual players alike, but we don’t want to overlook the basic need for players to feel like they are progressing and growing even after hitting max level. Adding item progression is a delicate process normally undertaken in an expansion, but we feel it’s important to strive to satisfy the basic needs of our players sooner rather than later.
- There will be a new monster condition called "Agony", which is where the new infusion slots come into play.
- Players must "infuse" to protect against this deadly new ailment.
- Infusion slots come in Offensive, Defensive, and Omni protective varieties.
- In terms of rarity, Ascended items fall between Exotic and Legendary.
- Currently, Ascended items only come in the form of rings and back slots, but there's room to expand in the future.