Riot Games has announced a riveting vision for the future of eSports, particularly events for League of Legends!
“Talking to players around the world, they repeatedly asked if we could kick League of Legends eSports into higher gear,” said Brandon Beck, co-founder and CEO of Riot Games. “The new League of Legends Championship Series is our answer. Millions of fans tune in every time we support a major League of Legends tournament, so we're broadening that support in an unprecedented way.”
This exciting prospect introduces a brand new professional gaming league, with teams from North America, Europe, and Asia. Teams will have multiple regular sessions per week, with HD streaming broadcasts available globally for free. Here are the details:
- Dedicated “Championship Series” Tournament: Season 3 will be a completely separate, dedicated series of tournaments overseen by Riot Games that happen on a much more frequent, scheduled basis
- Salaried Teams: The top eight teams from both North America and Europe from Season 2, as well as top teams from Asia, will be offered salaries by Riot Games as they compete for regional and global dominance.
- Millions of Dollars on the Line: Salaries, prize pools and other compensation for Championship Series teams will ensure League of Legends is a sustainable career choice for professional players.
- Regular Season and Playoffs: eSports fans will watch teams battling in the traditional format of organized sports – a regular season with several matches per week, culminating in regional playoffs and a World Championship, which will crown the world’s best League of Legends team.
- Free, HD broadcast events: League of Legends fans will watch Championship Series matches live online with HD broadcast streaming that is always 100% free.
The upcoming S2 North American and European Regional competitions coming up will have massive consequences - the top three teams from each region will pre-qualify for the league, earning said salaries. Follow their progress at the event pages:
For in-depth information about League of Legends, including strategy, champion, and gameplay guides, check out LoLPro.com and ReignofGaming.net and be sure to tune in to own3D.tv to see what's going on with Team Curse any time of day or night, 7 days a week.