Grinding Gear Games has announced the first season of race events for Path of Exile, to begin on Saturday, February 23rd and run for six weeks until April 7th. These race events are short-term leagues separate from the main game with separate characters and varying goals that test the players' skill and luck.
The new seasonal structure gives prizes for placing at the top of the realm overall in a given season, but each race and set of events will still have its own range of prizes as well.
"The race events were extremely popular in Closed Beta," said Chris Wilson, producer for Grinding Gear Games. "The leagues generally reward players who can level up quickly and place in the top ranks of their character class, but there are also rewards for meeting objectives like finishing side quests or full-clearing areas first. By structuring the races into seasons, players are motivated to participate in multiple events and it gives them something meaningful to work toward over the course of several weeks."
More information, as well as a schedule of events, can be found at http://www.pathofexile.com/seasons.
If you haven't heard of the game by now, you're missing out on quite an innovative online action RPG set in the fantasy world of Wraeclast. You'll run into a barter-based economy, extensive character customization, and ranked PvP, all contained in a free-to-play package. FPS James can give you a bit more insight in our Ultimate Beginner's Guide.
Key features of Path of Exile:
- A dark and deep action RPG
- Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
- Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
- Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
- Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'
- Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
- Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
- Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
- Ascend online ladders in every game mode
- Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition