In the most recent developer's log Flying Lab Software tells us about the many changes planned for The Freetrader (Pirates of the Burning Sea) in patch 1.4.
Freetraders are in a unique position right now. Nobody can survive as long as an FT and they can excel in different areas. They have a moderate amount of combat strength, but it can be difficult to tap into that strength. Theres a definite limbo in FT effectiveness. We approached the Freetrader by giving them some new functionality (stealth, a strong attack debuff) and changing how two of their skill chains are used.
In the process, we removed the following skills from Freetraders: Desperation Fire 1, Repel Grapples 1, Dockyard Contract, Identify Weakness 1 and Before the Wind 1. Here are some of the new Freetrader skills to replace the old ones:
- Underdog – Tier 1 Desperation: Increases damage, acceleration, turn rate and speed by 7.5%. Only works if you have less than 82% total armor remaining (50% for one broadside).
- Determination – Tier 3 Escape: Boosts your resists and grappling defense by 15%. Requires an enemy target within 250y range. 4 minute duration, 8 minute reset.
- Work the System – Tier 5 Logistics: An upgraded version of Claim Prize. Each derelict provides 1-3 commendations instead of 1.
- Debilitating Broadside – Tier 5 Ship Mastery: Similar to Crippling Broadside, except with an intensity multiplier. Reduces target acceleration, reload, turn rate and speed by 1% per shot that hits (max 15 hits).
- Running Dark – Tier 5 Smuggling: A clickable OS buff that improves your stealth (20% + 7.5 miles) and OS speed (2.5%) at the cost of reload rate (-20%). Lasts 12 minutes, resets in 10 minutes.
As usual, several existing skills changed (especially Provisions and Preparations). Heres a bunch of those changes:
- Career Base – added 1 defense
- Hasty Fire – now lasts 2 minutes instead of 1.
- Repel Grapples – This is now the same as the Cut Lines pirate skill.
- Evasion – Now costs 40 morale instead of 50.
- Reinforcement – now provides 2% all protection, 5% structure integrity
- Battle Preparations (4 skills): These skills now last for four minutes with an eight minute reset timer. They work different from the Privateer version in that they have a shared cooldown of two minutes, and they can stack. That means its worth getting more than two of these.
- Provision Allies (4 skills): These skills now provide twice as much benefit to the user as to the group members.
And heres what the Freetrader skill tree looks like:
- Career: Sailmaster – Mercenary – Carpenter – Gunner – Captain
- Desperation: Underdog – Dump Guns – Desperation Fire – Rum Ration – Hasty Fire
- Escape: Repel Grapples – Defense – Determination – Evasion – Deter Pursuit
- Logistics: Economy: Production – Economy: Manufacturing – Trade Connections – Economy: Shipwright – Work the System
- Provisions: Defense – Maneuver – Boarding – Offense – Extra Rations
Ship Mastery: Hold Together – Reinforcement – Identify Weakness – Overloaded Shot – Debilitating Shot
- Smuggling: Rescue Me – Ranging Shot – Smuggled Cargo – Give the Slip – Running Dark
- Trade: Tax Evasion – Optimal Rigging – Before the Wind – Sailhandling Drills – Misdirection
- Travel: Travel – Battle Preparations: Maneuver – Battle Preparations: Defense – Battle Preparations: Speed – Battle Preparations: Offense