Jagex has officially made a brand new dungeon available for Runescape, their popular browser-based free-to-play MMO. The Polypore Dungeon has quite a bit of lorebehind it, which you can read a bit of below:
In an isolated cave, deep beneath the River Salve, sits a solitary gorajo ramokee. Born as a skinweaver, she was destined to serve her tribe as a healer, but now she has abandoned them and settled in Gielinor where she can use her skinweaving powers for her own amusement. She revels in the joy of creating bizarre, powerful monsters from the local wildlife, and watches as adventurers are drawn to her cave for battle and plunder. Her only other company is a strange little merchant, who was driven mad by a tragic loss and now lives as a hermit within the cave.
By imbuing the native fungi with her powers, and growing them all over the beasts of the cave, she has created entirely new creatures. Her power, residing in the fungi, makes the beasts extremely resilient to physical melee and ranged damage, so you should come packing magic (although a dwarf multicannon will also be useful). Many of the creatures cannot be harmed at all, except by the most skilled slayers. With some basic Herblore skill, you (or a friend) can weaken the cave’s inhabitants by preparing neem oil and splashing it on to them.
You can turn the skinweaver’s power to your own advantage by gathering flakes of fungus as you slay these abominations. Skilled crafters will be able to sew the flakes on to mycelium garments, sold by the merchant near the entrance, to make new kinds of protective mage armour. There’s a new food item that has a chance to grant life point regeneration when struck in PVP, as well as a powerful battlestaff with an inherent attack spell, usable without runes and regardless of your currently active spell book.
The dungeon is available by heading North from the Dual Arena bank and crossing the bridge to the island beyond. There are some requirements to the Polypore Dungeon, although most of them are simply recommendations more than requirements.
- You must be a member to access the Polypore Dungeon. While there are no requirements to enter the dungeon and its inhabitants are non-aggressive, a high Magic level will allow you to tackle its more powerful denizens.
- There are two multi-way combat areas within the dungeon: one requiring 73 Agility and the other requiring 82 Dungeoneering.
- Some enemies require a high Slayer level to be harmed at all.
- The protective mage armour requires certain levels in both Magic and Defence to wear.
- Level 80 Magic and Attack are required to wield the new polypore staff. A Farming level of 80 is required to construct it.
- The Slayer masters will not assign polypore creatures as targets to anyone with a Magic level below 60 (for the ganodermic and grifolic creatures) or 50 (for the fungal magi).