Today SOE sent out an email to players to make them aware of server closures coming on October 15th, 2009 for Star Wars Galaxies. Interestingly, these closures are happening because of the success of Free Server Transfers. It's definitely confusing at first, but once you think about it, it makes a bit more sense. There are currently 25 servers for the game, and because of this there will only be 13 -- though many players have already migrated to the remaining 13 servers.
So in the end, the populations will be more densely packed onto fewer servers, meaning an overall better experience in SOE's Star Wars MMO. Check out the email below for details.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR STAR WARS GALAXIES™ ACCOUNT --
12 SERVERS CLOSING ON OCTOBER 15, 2009
Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Account Holder,
Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that on October 15, 2009, at 5:00 PM PDT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:
Character creation will be disabled on the affected servers beginning September 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM PDT.
In accordance with the server closure date, the Free Character Transfer service has been extended through October 15. 2009. Between September 15, 2009 and October 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM PT all characters on the affected servers are eligible for a one way, one time Free Character Transfer* to any of the remaining thirteen (13) Star Wars Galaxies servers. After October 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM PT, any characters and their associated items and structures remaining on the identified servers being closed will no longer be accessible on your Star Wars Galaxies or Station Access account.
Please visit http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/freects/ for complete details on how to transfer your character using the Star Wars Galaxies Free Character Transfer Service.
We appreciate your loyalty and commitment to Star Wars Galaxies and value having you in the community. We hope that you will continue to play on one of the 13 thriving Star Wars Galaxies servers and look forward to sharing many more new and exciting Star Wars™ themed adventures with you in the coming months as we introduce the Chronicle Master System, Death Troopers, and the upcoming Galactic Civil War enhancements.
For more information, visit our FAQ.
Sony Online Entertainment
*Terms and Conditions Apply:
- In connection with the identified servers, Free Character Transfer Service will be available through 4:59PM PDT on October 15, 2009. This "Free Character Transfer Service" only applies to a one-time/once per character move from an identified server to be closed to one of the remaining galaxy servers as determined by SOE in its sole and absolute discretion. All characters much be transferred to and from the same Station account.
- Your character must be located on one of the original 10 ground planets at the time of your transfer request to perform a server transfer. The original 10 ground planets are Corellia, Dantooine, Dathomir, Endor, Lok, Naboo, Rori, Talus, Tatooine, and Yavin 4.
- For purposes of this Free Character Transfer Service, the identified servers closing October 15, 2009 include: Corbantis, Intrepid, Kauri, Kettemoor, Lowca, Naritus, Scylla, Tarquinas, Tempest, Valcyn, Europe-Infinity and Wanderhome.
- Valid destination servers include: Ahazi, Bloodfin, Bria, Chilastra, Eclipse, Europe-Chimaera, Europe-FarStar, Flurry, Gorath, Radiant, Shadowfire, Starsider, and Sunrunner.
- To access the Free Character Transfer Service, you must login to Star Wars Galaxies with the character you would like to transfer. You will be notified that your character qualifies for the free character transfer service opportunity when you login. Eligible characters may also enter "/freects" to begin the transfer process. Only one character may be transferred at a time. Please read and respond carefully to each question and answer entry you type. All Character Transfers are considered final and cannot be reversed.
- Free Character Transfer Service terms and limitations: Please be aware that Vendors and contents of Vendors will not transfer. Items equipped by the character (and/or contained within items equipped by the character) will transfer. Items in the character's inventory (and/or contained within items in the character's inventory) will transfer. Items in the character's bank (and/or contained within items in the character's bank) will transfer. Items in the character's datapad (and/or contained within items in the character's datapad) will transfer. Items that do not qualify as either "items equipped by the character" or "items in the character's datapad" as noted in the aforementioned terms, will not transfer.
- Please note that any items that are connected to your in-game structures must be packed up with the structure(s) or they will not be transferred.
- Character names are not guaranteed on galaxy-to-galaxy transfers. If the character's name has already been used on the Galaxy you wish to move to, you will be able to enter a new name in the field provided (subject to the terms and conditions of the Character Naming Policy).
- Character transfers from one account to another are not part of the Free Character Transfer Service.
- Any characters that are not transferred before the October 15, 2009 server closure date will be removed from your character list.
- Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts do not ensure continuous or error-free access, use or availability of any game content, feature, game-play or server and may change, modify, disable, suspend or remove any such content, feature, game-play or server at their sole discretion.