With the folks behind Starbound being relatively quiet the past few weeks, we were overjoyed to receive a development update recently! Here's what the team has been working on:
- Kyren: Finishing touches on object integration and netcode tweaking for online play
- Tiy: Coding - defining and inputting assets, finishing various features so they're ready for testing ASAP
- Omni: Creature AI and behaviors, including flying creatures, which use a movement solution the team apparently can't wait to show us
- George: Random armors, creatures, and objects
- Legris: Biomes - parallax, plant, and tree production. Also working on a dynamic tree system for more variance
- Rho: Creature production, particularly contest winner monsters
Expected to be released around the end of Summer 2012, Starbound contains a story within a sandbox. While main quests are available, gamers can be kept busy forever simply finding a crew, conducting research, catching rare creatures, and unlocking/customizing facilities.
Starbound begins with you fleeing your homeworld in a space shuttle, just as it’s destroyed by an unknown enemy. With nothing to guide it, the escape pod shoots into space without direction, becoming hopelessly lost in a sea of stars. As luck would have it, the space shuttle makes contact with an abandoned space station and an adventure begins that will take you hurtling across the universe. Starbound contains both quests and story driven missions, buried inside its vast sandbox universe.