StarCraft II's upcoming expansion, Heart of the Swarm, is now announced to launch around the world on March 12th of next year! This savage new chapter in the war between the Terran, Protoss, and Zerg will feature the following:
- 20 new campaign missions following Kerrigan across the galaxy as she attempts to reunite the Swarm and exact revenge on Arcturus Mengsk
- Customize Kerrigan with powerful new abilities, and evolve various zerg strains into fearsome new subspecies to suit your own playstyle
- New units such as Terran Hellbats, Zerg Swarm Hosts, and Protoss Tempests, plus updated original units
- Group and clan systems, unranked matchmaking, and Global Play, which enables players to battle others in different regions around the world
- Additional stat tracking, UI improvements, enhanced physics system
- Multiplayer replays
- Leveling system
“With Heart of the Swarm, our goal has been to expand on the multiplayer action and cinematic storytelling of Wings of Liberty,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “Combined with features like unranked matchmaking and our new leveling system, this expansion elevates the StarCraft II experience for players of all skill levels.”
Want it yet? You can actually do something about this, as pre-sales have opened up! The base edition of Heart of the Swarm is available for $39.99, with two other editions available for those of us who want more out of our expansion experience:
Digital Deluxe ($59.99) - A full digital copy of the expansion, along with the following:
- StarCraft II Torrasque: Crush the enemies of the Swarm with the indomitable Torrasque, a fearsome new look for your zerg Ultralisks.
- StarCraft II Battle.net® Portraits and Decals: New Swarm-infested Battle.net portraits and decals help you customize the look of your online profile and in-game army.
- World of Warcraft® In-Game Pet: The Baneling companion pet is bursting with enthusiasm and ready to explode onto the Pet Battles scene.
- Diablo® III Blade Wings and Banner Sigil: Grow zerg-like wings in honor of the Queen of Blades, and unfurl an exclusive banner sigil to mark your allegiance to the Swarm in Sanctuary.
Collector's Edition ($79.99) - Contains all from the Digital Deluxe, plus the following:
- Behind-the-Scenes DVD and Blu-ray: Immerse yourself in theStarCraft universe with developer commentary, interviews with voice actors, and an in-depth historical retrospective on StarCraft’s eSports legacy narrated by key members of the community.
- Collector’s Edition Soundtrack CD: Enhance your Heart of the Swarmmusical experience with this collection of more than a dozen tracks from the game .
- Heart of the Swarm Hardcover Art Book: This 144-page tome features never-before-seen art from the expansion, including early concept sketches and meticulous 3D renderings.
- Zerg Rush Mousepad: This Collector’s Edition mousepad depicts the Terran Dominion holding out desperately under the onslaught of the Swarm.