A lot of people are looking forward to Torchlight II as it heads to digital download platforms everywhere. Announced at PAX today, on September 20th 2012 the game will launch. If you're in the area, swing by the Runic Games booth 1220 to play, participate in the cosplay contest, or check out their Saturday panels:
- MMORPG.com - Future of Online Games Panel
- Business Models of PC Games: Then, Now, and Looking to the Future
Runic Games' CEO, Max Schaefer comments, "We worked incredibly hard to make sure we could release Torchlight II before Summer's official end. Development will continue right up until we ship, and we couldn't be happier to be putting the finishing touches on a great game. We want to get it to the fans as quickly as possible. Honestly, we can't wait."
You can pre-order through both Steam and Perfect World Entertainment for $19.99, which also gets you a free Steam copy of the original Torchlight! Steam also has a four-pack option so you can play with your friends on the cheap. Key features of Torchlight II include:
- Multiplayer - Play co-op with your friends via LAN or over the Internet for free. No subscriptions, no item sales. Our new matchmaking service lets you find friends, start new games, and join existing games. And, as always, you can play single-player offline as well.
- Customizable Characters - Players will create and customize a character from one of four brand new classes. Each class can be played as either male or female, with customized cosmetic features and looks to make each individual character stand out. All new skills and loot give loads of opportunity for unique character builds.
- Moddability - TorchED, the Torchlight II editor, will give players the ability to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. Have your friends download the same mod and play together.
- New User Interface - Torchlight II boasts a new and improved user interface, designed to be easier than ever for new players to pick up and play. This intuitive interface ensures you can focus on playing the game the way you want to.
- Open World - We're not only in the town of Torchlight anymore! Explore vast overland areas and multiple hub towns, fight through rain, snow, day and night. Our level randomization ensures new layouts, paths, loot, and monsters every time you play.
- New Game Plus - In New Game Plus, the game's not over until you say it is. Once you've beaten Torchlight II's primary campaign, you can start again with the same character for a significantly greater challenge. You'll keep all of the skills, gold, and gear you worked so hard for!
- Pets & Fishing - These popular features make their return in Torchlight II in improved form. More choices, better effects, and your pet will still make the run to town to sell your loot so you don’t have to.