Torchlight is a new game being developed by Runic Games and being published by Perfect World. It is being developed in Seattle team by a veteran team composed of the designers and leads of projects like Diablo, Diablo II, Mythos, and Fate. We had a chance to play the game at E3 and it was incredibly fun with lots of details and much more to come before the game is released this fall. Runic Games will initially release Torchlight as a standalone Single Player game, Torchlight will be released in the latter part of 2009 as a download or in box. Following the single player release, work will commence on a fully-featured MMO version.
Here's a look at some recently released screenshots for the game:
Here's a look at the exclusive Torchlight Trailer:
Here are some of the unique features of Torchlight:
Single Player Version
Players will choose from among three character classes, and venture from the safety of the town of Torchlight into randomly generated dungeon levels, with a huge variety of creepy monsters, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. The endless randomization ensures a long-lived gameplay experience.
11.0pt; KEY FEATURES
- Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
- Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
- Retirement System 10.0pt; – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
- Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
- Character Classes 10.0pt; – 10.0pt; font-family: Microsoft Sans Serif; color: black"> Players will create and customize a character from one of three classes available, and choose an animal companion . Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
- Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
- Included Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by including an editor so our players can create and design their own content.
The Torchlight MMO expands on virtually every aspect of gameplay. While maintaining the fast-paced Action RPG gameplay style, Torchlight will introduce many traditional MMO features and an expansive world. Like the other Perfect World-published MMOs, Torchlight will be “Free-To-Play.” Players can earn and spend money to upgrade a large variety of items to enhance their game play experience through an in-game item shop.
Published by Perfect World, the Torchlight MMO will offer a rich social environment where players can adventure together in a contiguous over world environment with many different dungeon types to explore. Populated by a diverse and colorful set of vendors, quest-givers, and town elders, players will learn about the rich lore and history of Torchlight and the surrounding Ember veins, and set off on quests and adventures that reveal the secrets, dangers, and long history of the magical substance.
The release date for the Torchlight MMO is yet to be determined.
KEY MMO ADDITIONS
- Expansive World 10.0pt;– Large overland areas and deep, randomly generated dungeons offer a variety of exploration and adventuring opportunities.
- Customization – The level of character customization is upped significantly in the MMO, with more class choices, looks, and options which allow a truly personalized character.
- Territory Wars – Torchlight will take advantage of precedent set by other Perfect World MMOs and offer weekly battles for territory, with winners receiving significant rewards.
- Mounts – Large variety of mounts to assist in navigating the world.
- PvP – Torchlight will give PvP fans a variety of constructs to determine just who the mightiest warrior in the land is.
- Social Features – Marriage systems, buddy lists, chat features, and world events will all create a rich social environment never before seen in an action MMO.