Today, Runic Games has released an official press release announcing Torchlight II, the sequel to Torchlight. Not only that, they have also announced that they will be showing a pre-alpha build at Gamescom in Germany as well as at PAX Prime 2010 in Seattle.
Runic Games will release Torchlight II initially as a digital download in the Spring of 2011.Features
- Multi-player - Play with your friends or meet new people using the free peer-to-peer matchmaking system.
- Customizable Characters - Players will now be able to customize their character to their liking and pick their own pet.
- Moddability - Torchlight II will release with TorchEd, the Torchlight editor.
- New User Interface - A new, improved user interface, designed to be easier for new players.
- Overworld Areas - Randomized areas to explore with weather, day and night cycles, and random events.
- Random Dungeons - Randomly generated dungeons are found within the game at all times for extra experience and rare loot.
- Retirement System - Once a player's characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can retire that character and bestow perks onto new characters.
- Pets - In Torchlight II, players choose what kind of pet they want to accompany them. They also level up, fight, learn spells, carry items and perform support service
- Fishing - Fishing returns with similar benefits as Torchlight.
Make sure to check out the official site for Torchlight II for updates as the game develops.
Official Press Release
RUNIC GAMES UNVEILS TORCHLIGHT II,
SEQUEL TO CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED DEBUT
All new sequel to award-winning ARPG
Torchlight brings multi-player and more
August 4, 2010 – Seattle, WA - Runic Games, Inc. ("Runic Games"), a specialized developer of PC-based entertainment software in the United States, surprised the game world today by announcing their next project, Torchlight II.
Torchlight II answers the overwhelming call of our community with an expansive co-op multiplayer experience. With all new character classes, an expansive overworld, new quests, monsters, and lots of new dungeons, Torchlight II finally lets you play with your friends in the world of Torchlight. Consistent with our pledge to provide unmatched value, Torchlight II will be sold at a low price point, and include a free matchmaking service for peer-to-peer multiplayer experience. Expect Torchlight II to ship in the spring of 2011.
Runic Games’ CEO, Max Schaefer commented, “We’re so proud of everything Torchlight accomplished, and we feel that Torchlight II will not only give the fans everything they’ve asked for, but far surpass its predecessor in terms of fun, balance, customization, story, and just being a great game to play with your friends.
“We still are going to make the MMO, but it became apparent that Torchlight II was the logical next step for us given the phenomenal enthusiasm of gamers petitioning us for multiplayer.”
Torchlight II debuts at gamescom 2010 in Cologne, Germany August 18-22 2010, and at PAX Prime in Seattle, WA, September 3-5 2010. Gaming enthusiasts will have the opportunity to explore the new features hands on, and chat directly with the developers.
Torchlight II will launch in Spring 2011, initially as a digital download.
For more information on Torchlight II, gamers can visit the official website at http://www.torchlight2game.com/ to view additional game play details, trailers and screenshots.
About Runic Games, Inc.
Runic Games is a developer of PC-based entertainment software, designing games that focus on quality, approachability, and fun. Runic Games is staffed by team with experienced members, including leads on "Diablo," "Diablo II," "Diablo II: Lord of Destruction," "Fate," "Hellgate: London" and "Mythos." Torchlight won the GDC Award for Best Debut in 2009. Runic Games, a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ: PWRD), is located in Seattle, Washington, United States.