Sony Online Entertainment has announced that this summer, fantasy MMORPG Vanguard: Saga of Heroes will officially be going free-to-play!
At SOE, giving players choices is the theme of how we're moving forward as a company. We see free-to-play (or as we refer to it, Free to Play. Your Way.) as a big part of our future and we like the flexibility it offers players. Therefore, I'm happy to announce Vanguard will be the next in line of our AAA games to make this transition.
A membership model highly reminiscent of transitioned games such as DC Universe Online, EverQuest, and EverQuest 2 will be put into place, allowing players to scale their involvement. To clear up any questions surrounding the process, an announcement FAQ has been prepared by the team:
- Is Vanguard: Saga of Heroes going Free-to-Play?
- Yes, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is going Free-to-Play.
- When will this change be happening?
- At this time we are still in the planning and implementation phases, we have not yet announced a date for when we are going Free-to-Play. Our tentative time frame for this conversion is in the summer of 2012.
- I'm interested in Free-to-Play, where can I find more details?
- We have not yet released details about Vanguard: Saga of Heroes going Free-to-Play, keep coming back as more details will be released in the near future! For an idea of how some portions of the Free-to-Play conversion may be implemented, you may wish to take a look at our EverQuest, EverQuest 2, and DC Universe Online Free-to-Play conversions.
- Are you currently developing Vanguard: Saga of Heroes?
- Yes! Please read the Producer's Letter for more details about the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Development team.
- Where can I learn more about Vanguard: Saga of Heroes?
In addition, a patch has been applied today, rewarding current players of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes with title "the Loyal", as well as a unique vanity pet. For more information about the game, visit http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/index.vm