XCOM: Enemy Unknown's release is coming up fast, only a couple short months away on October 9th. At Gamescom 2012 the development team has both single player and multiplayer treats for fans to enjoy, introducing players to the storyline introduction, combat and strategy systems, unit management, and more!
With a lot of the familiar mechanics from the first XCOM and some new features that will blow your mind, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a brilliant reworking of the classic 1993 strategy game. The new vision, story, enemies, and technologies will appeal to longtime fans and newcomers alike.
The turn-based strategy game returns with:
- Worldwide Threat: Combat spans the globe as the XCOM team engages in over 70 unique missions, interacting and negotiating with governments around the world.
- Strategic Base: Recruit, customise and grow unique soldiers and manage your personnel. Detect and intercept the alien threat as you build and expand your XCOM headquarters.
- Tactical Combat: Direct squads of soldiers in turn-based ground battles and deploy air units such as the Interceptor and Skyranger.
- Strategy Evolved: XCOM: Enemy Unknown couples tactical turn-based gameplay with incredible action sequences and on-the-ground combat.
- Serious Strategy, Serious Consequences: Full of rich, deep strategy, players must use all information available to them to make key decisions to save the world, because XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a game with serious consequences for failure. Just like the original X-COM, there is permadeath: once a soldier dies in battle, there’s no way to bring him back.
- Multiplayer: For the first time in an XCOM game, players can pick a squad of soldiers, aliens, or a mix of both in a unique multiplayer game mode to go head-to-head against another player in an intense one-on-one, turn-based deathmatch.
For more information, check out the official site at http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/ and don't miss our Gamescom 2012 News Center sponsored by Guardians of Middle-Earth.
Keep checking back here and over at FPS General, as we'll be updating throughout the entire event with huge announcements, great new features from the development teams themselves, and more!