The wait is over for those eager to get their hands on the highly anticipated XCOM: Enemy Unknown! In North America, gamers can grab a copy today, with only a three day wait until October 12th for the rest of the world.
“XCOM: Enemy Unknown revives the XCOM franchise, staying true to what fans loved in the original game while evolving and growing the experience to appeal to all gamers,” said Sarah Anderson, senior vice president of marketing for 2K. “Combining intense action and strategy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an experience unlike any other on the market, and one that no gamer will want to miss.”
Preordered copies will include a launch bonus with the Elite Soldier pack:
- Classic X-COM soldier: Players will instantly receive a new recruit in their barracks inspired by the original X-COM: UFO Defense. The iconic soldier with the blonde, flattop hairstyle will return fully modernized.
- Soldier Deco packs: Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.
- Complete color customization: A variety of colors and tints for all armor sets in the game allow players complete control to customize their squad’s look.
A special edition of the game is available at select retail locations for $59.99, containing a copy of the game for Windows PC plus some special, limited-edition items including an art book, fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters, XCOM insignia patch, and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. If you aren't interested in the swag, the digital version is available for $49.99.
With a lot of the familiar mechanics from the first XCOM and some new features that will blow your mind, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a brilliant reworking of the classic 1993 strategy game. The new vision, story, enemies, and technologies will appeal to longtime fans and newcomers alike. The turn-based strategy game returns with:
- Worldwide Threat: Combat spans the globe as the XCOM team engages in over 70 unique missions, interacting and negotiating with governments around the world.
- Strategic Base: Recruit, customise and grow unique soldiers and manage your personnel. Detect and intercept the alien threat as you build and expand your XCOM headquarters.
- Tactical Combat: Direct squads of soldiers in turn-based ground battles and deploy air units such as the Interceptor and Skyranger.
- Strategy Evolved: XCOM: Enemy Unknown couples tactical turn-based gameplay with incredible action sequences and on-the-ground combat.
- Serious Strategy, Serious Consequences: Full of rich, deep strategy, players must use all information available to them to make key decisions to save the world, because XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a game with serious consequences for failure. Just like the original X-COM, there is permadeath: once a soldier dies in battle, there’s no way to bring him back.
- Multiplayer: For the first time in an XCOM game, players can pick a squad of soldiers, aliens, or a mix of both in a unique multiplayer game mode to go head-to-head against another player in an intense one-on-one, turn-based deathmatch.
Not sure if you're sold? A free playable demo is now also available globally for Xbox 360, PC via Steam, and the PS3 in NA. You'll be able to play two levels of the tutorial campaign, which will introduce you to the XCOM base and the game's most important mechanics.
For more information, check out the official site at http://www.xcom.com, and you should definitely check out the XCOM Wiki, a resource-rich stockpile of all the data you'll need to make your XCOM experience awesome. Information is being added constantly, so keep checking back!